Michael J. Word is a senior associate in the Intellectual Property practice who focuses primarily on patent litigation and dispute resolution, including district court litigation, appellate practice at the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and practice before the Patent Trials and Appeals Board (PTAB).
Michael also advises clients on managing and expanding their patent portfolios, and, as a registered patent attorney, Michael prosecutes critical, high-value patent applications in front of the US Patent and Trademark Office.
Michael has assisted in numerous patent litigations involving complex technologies in a variety of areas, including wireless technologies and standards, optics and displays, database systems, mass storage systems, as well as general consumer electronics, business method patents and pharmaceutical patents, as well as litigations under the Hatch-Waxman Act and investigations involving the Federal Trade Commission.
He has worked with numerous high-tech and consumer electronics companies to protect their intellectual property both in the US and abroad. In addition, he has advised clients on their competitive position with respect to their patents in the fields of consumer electronics, educational systems and investment strategies and frequently advises clients with respect the freedom to operate in highly litigious areas.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown in 2008, Michael was a Patent Agent and Technical Advisor for a large Intellectual Property law firm in Chicago. He has also worked as a research assistant for the Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory at the University of Illinois, where he researched and developed novel processes for fabricating nanoscale structures.
- Northwestern University School of Law, JD, cum laude
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- US District Court for the Southern District of New York
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Delaware Display Group LLC and Innovative Display Technologies LLC v. LG Electronics, et al., Case No. 1:13-cv-2109-RGA (D. Del.) (J. Andrews). Representing LG Electronics in a patent infringement case involving eight asserted patents directed to backlights for liquid crystal displays in televisions.
- 511 Innovations, Inc. v. Avago Technologies, Ltd and Avago Technologies US, Inc., C.A. No. 2:15-cv-1525 (E.D. Tex.)(J. Gilstrap). Representing Avago in this action alleging infringement of United States Patent Nos. 7,110,096; 7,397,541; 8,472,102 and 8,786,844 relating to optical devices.
- Petitions for Inter Partes Review by LG Electronics, Inc., Proceeding Nos. IPR2015-00937, IPR2015-00938, IPR2015-00940, IPR2015-00942 (Patent Trials and Appeals Board). Represented petitioner LG Electronics in IPR challenges to patents directed to backlighting for liquid crystal displays.
- Aeritas LLC v. American Airlines Inc., Case No. 1:13-cv-01320-SLR (Del.) (J. Robinson). Represented American Airlines in a multi-patent litigation involving mobile boarding pass technology.
- Innovatio IP Ventures, LLC v. HVM LLC (d/b/a Studio Plus Deluxe Studios), Case No. 12-cv-03862) (N.D. Ill.) (J. Holderman). Represented HVM in this patent litigation involving alleged WiFi standards-essential technology.
- Aeritas LLC v. Delta Air Lines, Inc., Case No. 11-cv-969 (D. Del.); Aeritas LLC v. US Airways, Inc., Case No. 11-cv-1267 (D. Del.) (J. Robinson). Represented Delta Air Linea and US Airways in a multi-patent litigation involving mobile boarding pass technology.
- EON Corp. IP Holdings, LLC v. Sensus USA, Inc., et al. Case No. 2:10-cv-00448 (E.D. Texas) (J. Ward). settlement counsel for Sensus in this patent litigation pertaining to certain systems for remotely monitoring electric, water and gas meters.
- EON Corp. IP Holdings, LLC v. Sensus Metering Systems, Inc.,Case No. 6:09-cv-116 (E.D. Texas) (J. Davis). Represented Sensus in this two patent litigation pertaining to certain systems for remotely monitoring electric, water and gas meters.
- First Trust Portfolios L.P. v. Jackson National Life Insurance Co., et al., Case No. 1:08-cv-04853 (N.D. Ill.) (J. Guzman). Represented Jackson National Life Insurance and associated entities in this patent litigation involving methods for selecting securities for investment portfolios.
Rate : $$$