Michaela D. Poizner is a health care attorney who works with provider organizations to accomplish their operational compliance and strategic business goals. As a member of the Health Law Group and co-leader of the Behavioral Health Initiative, Michaela assists clients in buying and selling health care assets and guides them through matters ranging from privacy and security concerns and fraud and abuse analysis to development of policies and procedures and navigation of licensure and Medicare enrollment.
Michaela represents provider organizations in the behavioral, medical, and long-term health care industries. Her behavioral health clients include multi-state psychiatric hospital systems, outpatient and residential mental health treatment programs, geriatric psychiatry providers, and medical-surgical hospitals with psychiatric units.
She also represents multi-facility providers of skilled nursing and assisted living care, organizations that serve the intellectually and developmentally disabled, and medical-surgical facilities ranging from physician practice organizations to large regional health systems.
Before joining Baker Donelson, Michaela clerked for the Vanderbilt University Medical Center Office of General Counsel.
- Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D.
- Middle Tennessee State University, B.S. in Mass Communications, cum laude and B.A. in English, cum laude
- Coordinated health care transactions, including medical-surgical and psychiatric hospital and nursing home acquisitions and sales and physician practice acquisitions.
- Guided behavioral health provider through full spectrum of licensure and zoning requirements in order to open outpatient and residential facilities in Tennessee for the first time.
- Managed all aspects of initial and ongoing Medicare provider enrollment for multi-facility, multi-state long-term care provider.
- Assisted multiple clients with obtaining initial licensure and changing ownership of licensed long-term care facilities in Tennessee and other states.
- Drafted complete HIPAA privacy policies and procedures for multi-state psychiatric health system, including analyzing the interaction between state privacy laws and HIPAA.
- Provided analysis of fraud and abuse compliance, including Stark Law, Anti-Kickback Statute and state law issues.
- Advised large number of clients on responding to subpoenas, law enforcement requests, and attorney demands for confidential patient information.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- American Health Lawyers Association, member and chair of Enterprise Risk Management Task Force
- Leadership Health Care, Board member and Delegation Committee member
Rate : $$$$