Michelle Simpson is a bright, hardworking young attorney practicing criminal defense in Waco, Texas. Before her legal career, Michelle was a world class athlete ranked among the top women in the world in the sport of water skiing. Michelle’s intense drive to be the best has carried over into her legal career.
In her first two years of practice Michelle and Russ have together tried high profile capital murder cases, aggravated sexual assault cases, kidnapping, and federal felony drug cases. Prior to that, Michelle tried an aggravated robbery, and handled other serious felony cases.
Michelle Simpson Tuegel grew up in Bridgeport, Texas, a small town northwest of Fort Worth. She attended Rollins College in Florida, earning a degree in English. Michelle’s intense determination and competitive drive led her to a World Cup Championship in 2005 in women’s slalom water skiing.
By the time Michelle decided to trade in her water skis to attend Baylor Law School in 2007, she was ranked 3rd in the world in Women’s Slalom and 1st in the United States in Women’s Slalom.
Michelle graduated from Baylor Law School in July 2010. She met her husband Andrew Tuegel at Baylor Law School. Andrew practices with a plaintiff’s firm in Waco-Harrison, Davis, Steakley & Morrison. Shortly after graduation, Michelle started practicing criminal defense in Waco, Texas.
Michelle joined Russ Hunt, Sr.’s law practice in May 2012 and became his partner January 2013, forming Hunt & Tuegel, PLLC.
Another interesting fact, Michelle is not only the daughter and wife of two trial lawyers, but her two sisters are both now civil attorneys in Dallas. Michelle is the only one in the family practicing criminal defense.
When asked why she chose this area she always gives two reasons, “First, I love to be in the courtroom fighting for my clients and criminal defense gives me that opportunity on a regular basis-I get tobe a real trial lawyer, which has always been my dream. Second, I get to really help people.”
Those statements really summarize the type of lawyer and person that Michelle is- someone who works tirelessly for her clients, shines in the courtroom and truly strives to help people.
- Texas, 2010
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas, 2011
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas, 2014
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas, 2017
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 2017
Professional Associations And Memberships:
- American Bar Association, Member
- College of the State Bar of Texas, Member
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Member
- McLennan County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association , Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Life Member
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- NACDL, Amicus Curiae Committee , Fifth Circuit Vice Chair
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Board of Directors
- NACDL Title IX Committee , Member
- NACDL Budget Committee , Member
- NACDL Death Penalty Committee , Member
- NACDL Women in Criminal Defense Committee , Member
- NACDL Membership Committee, Vice-Chair
Rate : $$$