Michelle F. Zaltsberg is an associate in Baker Donelson’s Orlando office and primarily practices in the areas of emergency management and disaster recovery. Michelle has significant experience with the laws, regulations and procedures relating to eligibility for federal disaster and mitigation assistance under the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) Public Assistance program.
She regularly assists state and local governments and non-profit entities navigate FEMA’s administrative appeals process. Michelle’s practice also focuses significantly on helping clients create FEMA-compliant procurement programs pursuant to the federal procurement standards at 2 C.F.R. Part 200. In addition, Michelle represents clients in complex business disputes in both state and federal courts and in arbitrations.
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 2008, cum laude
- University of Florida, B.A. Business Administration, Minor Mass Communication, 2006, cum laude
- Florida, 2009
- Georgia, 2009
- U.S. District Court for the Northern and Middle Districts of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Middle, Southern and Northern Districts of Florida
- Prepared comprehensive “FEMA Procurement Toolkit” for municipal electric utility membership association, including template procurement policy, written standards of conduct, and various checklists to promote compliance with FEMA procurement requirements among member utilities.
- Regularly reviewed and revised draft Requests for Proposal, Invitations to Bid, and contracts for compliance with federal procurement standards at 2 C.F.R. § 200.317-326.
- Represented general aviation airport in arbitration before the Civilian Board of Contract Appeals in an appeal of FEMA’s denial of request for funding of a flood mitigation proposal under FEMA’s Section 406 Hazard Mitigation Program. The matter required extensive briefing and a three-day arbitration hearing during which more than a dozen witnesses were examined.
- Drafted successful motion to defeat a request by the IRS for federal court to issue preliminary injunction as remedial measure against medical clinic client.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- American Bar Association
- Member – League of Women Voters of Orange County (2018 – present)
- Board Member – Jewish Federation of Greater Orlando (2017 – present)
- Co-Chair, Jewish Federation of Greater Orlando, Jewish Community Relations Council (JCRC) (2016 – present)
- Jewish Federation of Greater Orlando, Jerome J. Bornstein Leadership Development Program Participant (2015 – 2016)
Rate : $$$