Milton A. Marquis is a member of the State Attorneys General Practice and has developed an active antitrust and consumer protection litigation practice. He served with the government for 14 years at the U.S. Department of Justice and the offices of the attorneys general of Virginia and Massachusetts.
In private practice, Milton has represented major companies on a wide range of antitrust and consumer protection investigations and litigations involving state attorneys general across the United States, as well as the Federal Trade Commission and U.S. Department of Justice.
Milton has an active antitrust and consumer protection counseling practice, advising companies on related compliance issues. He also regularly advises clients on potential acquisitions from an antitrust perspective. Milton has advised companies through all stages of the Hart-Scott-Rodino premerger notification process, including Harbour Group and Gladstone Corporation.
Milton served as senior counsel to the assistant attorney general for antitrust, U.S. Department of Justice, during the Clinton administration. In this capacity, he advised the assistant attorney general on a wide range of issues, including energy and health care. Milton served as the Antitrust Division’s first liaison to state attorneys general.
Prior to his service at the Justice Department, Milton served as an antitrust and consumer protection litigator in the offices of the attorneys general of Massachusetts and Virginia, where he handled litigations and investigations involving many industries, including the soft drink, automobile, retail, agriculture, health care and waste disposal industries.
During his tenure as a state antitrust prosecutor, Milton was a leading member of the Multistate Antitrust Task Force of the National Association of Attorneys General. Milton is a member of Cozen O’Connor’s board of directors.
He has served in various leadership positions in the Section of Antitrust Law of the American Bar Association, including chair of the Civil Litigation and Procedure Committee, and vice chair of the Corporate Counseling Committee. He currently serves on the Advisory Board of the American Antitrust Institute. He also is a long-time member of the National Bar Association.
- Representation of a leading dietary supplement company in consumer protection investigations involving the Federal Trade Commission and a multistate task force of AGs.
- Representation of a Fortune 100 chemical company in several antitrust and consumer protection investigations and litigations before AGs, the Federal Trade Commission, and the U.S. Department of Justice involving a wide range of businesses, including agriculture, chemicals, and packaging graphics.
- Representation of a Fortune 100 pharmaceutical company in several AG consumer protection and antitrust investigations and litigation involving the marketing and sales of prescription medicines and other products.
- Representation of a Fortune 500 health care company in consumer protection investigations and litigation involving AGs.
- Representation of several for-profit colleges in consumer protection investigations before AGs in several states.
- Successfully resolved investigations by multiple AGs regarding a Fortune 100 company’s marketing of ancillary mobile telephone products.
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., 1984
- University of Georgia, B.A., 1979
BAR ADMISSIONS : District of Columbia
Rate : $$$$