Misha Tseytlin has extensive experience litigating high-stakes appeals before the United States Supreme Court, federal courts of appeals and state supreme courts. Misha leads the firm’s national appellate and Supreme Court practice.
He is an experienced, nationally renowned appellate advocate, having successfully led several of the most high-profile appeals in the country in recent years. He argued and prevailed before the United States Supreme Court in Gill v. Whitford, one of the most significant redistricting cases in decades.
He also argued and prevailed before the U.S. Supreme Court in Murr v. Wisconsin, a high-stakes regulatory takings case. Misha has been one of the leaders in high-profile challenges to environmental regulations.
He was one of the key advocates in the Clean Power Plan litigation, playing a critical role in securing a historic stay from the U.S. Supreme Court, and arguing the case before the en banc D.C. Circuit. Misha played a similar leading role in the multistate challenges to the WOTUS Rule and multiple challenges to EPA’s ozone rules.
Representative Matters :
- Briefed and argued Gill v. Whitford, a major redistricting case, before the U.S. Supreme Court. He obtained a 9-0 victory on behalf of his client, on his lead argument.
- Briefed and argued Murr v. Wisconsin, a significant regulatory takings case, before the U.S. Supreme Court. He obtained a 5-3 victory on behalf of his client.
- Argued numerous cases before the federal courts of appeals, including several high-profile environmental law and election law challenges.
- Briefed and argued Tetra Tech v. DOR, a leading administrative law case that ended agency deference in Wisconsin. He developed a new theory before the Wisconsin Supreme Court, which that court adopted in its landmark opinion.
Professional Experience :
- Solicitor General of Wisconsin, 2015-2018
- Deputy Attorney General and General Counsel, Office of the West Virginia Attorney General, 2014-2015
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Anthony M. Kennedy, United States Supreme Court, 2009-2010
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Janice Rogers Brown, Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, 2007-2008
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., summa cum laude, 2006
- Amherst College, B.A., magna cum laude, 2003
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- Supreme Court of the United States
- District of Columbia Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
BAR ADMISSIONS : New York, West Virginia, District of Columbia
Rate : $$$