Misty A. Murray handles a diverse range of life, health and disability insurance litigation in both state and federal courts. She has litigated hundreds of cases and is involved in all phases of the litigation process.
Misty counsels and defends insurers in matters involving unfair competition, insurance bad faith, and coverage disputes, as well as welfare benefits plans concerning ERISA benefit claims and breach of fiduciary duty.
She also works with insurance agents and broker-dealers in matters involving breach of fiduciary duty, suitability, insurance-related investment products, and FINRA disputes.
In addition, Misty advises insurers and managed care entities in matters involving provider contract and billing disputes, medical necessity, level of care, and coordination of benefits. On behalf of clients, Misty has :
- Successfully defended life, health and disability insurers from bad faith claims and punitive damage awards.
- Successfully defended health insurers and managed care organizations in arbitration and court actions against provider contract and billing disputes.
- Successfully defended insurance companies and welfare benefit plans in claims for ERISA benefits and breach of fiduciary duties under ERISA in individual cases and class actions.
- Successfully defended insurers in STOLI and IOLI cases from claims of fraud, unfair business practices and other consumer violations.
Misty joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in October 2014 as a result of the merger of Hinshaw and the Los Angeles-based firm of Barger & Wolen LLP, where she had practiced since 1998.
Professional Affiliations :
- The State Bar of California
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- J.D., magna cum laude, Southwestern University School of Law, 1998
- B.A., George Washington University, 1990
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central, Eastern, Northern, and Southern Districts of California
Rate : $$$$