Mitchell F. Engel counsels his clients on environmental law issues, including toxic torts. He researches and analyzes governmental regulations and legal precedent to provide guidance on risk mitigation to companies in the chemical, petroleum, utility, agricultural, food and pharmaceutical industries.
Mitch uses the analytical skills he honed while pursuing his undergraduate and master’s degrees in mathematics to understand the technical aspects of environmental and regulatory law.
Mitch enjoys translating complex concepts into comprehensible ideas, a skill he developed during graduate school when he taught calculus to college students. He has used this skill to become a strong writer, earning him a two-year clerkship with The Hon. Gary A. Fenner of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri after law school.
In his clerkship, he drafted over 150 orders ruling on motions seeking dismissal, summary judgment, remand, relief from judgment, and recovery of attorneys’ fees, as well as jury instructions in both civil and criminal matters.
While in law school, Mitch focused on sharpening his advocacy skills. An active member of his school’s moot court program, Mitch was selected to design the competition problem in his third year of law school, requiring him to create an original fact pattern and case record.
He also participated in several national moot court and mock trial competitions, including the Buffalo-Niagara Mock Trial Competition and the International Trademark Association Saul Lefkowitz Moot Court Competition, for which he served as lead brief writer and won the Best Oralist Team Award.
In addition, Mitch familiarized himself with the court system during his clerkship by attending numerous trials, hearings, pretrial conferences, bench conferences, and discovery disputes.
- J.D., summa cum laude, Creighton University School of Law, 2013
- Highest Triennial Average Award (graduated first in class)
- Buffalo-Niagara Mock Trial Competition
- Creighton University Moot Court Problem Director
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards (Business Associations, Civil Procedure II, Constitutional Law I and II, Contracts II, Evidence, Legal Research and Analysis, Legal Writing and Lawyering Skills, Property I, Secured Transactions, Trademarks, Witness Examination Skill)
- International Trademark Association Saul Lefkowitz Moot Court Competition, Lead Brief Writer, Best Oralist Team Award (received highest score in Midwest Division), Assistant Brief Writer (Third Place in Midwest Division for oral argument)
- M.A., University of Iowa, 2012 (Mathematics)
- B.A., magna cum laude, Gustavus Adolphus College (English and Mathematics, minor in Computer Sciences)
- Youth Soccer Coach, Prairie Village, Kansas
- The Hon. Gary A. Fenner, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
Rate : $$$$