As a trial lawyer and co-chair of the firm’s Commercial Litigation Practice Group, Mitchell A. Kamin represents global media, entertainment, and other large companies in complex disputes. He excels at the prompt resolution of claims, often through negotiation or early motion practice, and has extensive trial experience to secure the best possible outcomes when litigation is the only option.
Mr. Kamin focuses on civil litigation involving copyright and trademark, contract disputes, class actions, and business torts, and has significant experience with litigation concerning content creation and distribution.
His clients are leaders in the entertainment industry — including major companies in film, television, music, sports, and gaming. He has tried cases in state and federal courts, and successfully handled many government investigations and enforcement actions. Mr. Kamin also serves as co-chair of the firm’s Communications and Media Industry Group.
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 1993
- University of California at Berkeley, B.A., 1989
Bar Admissions :
- New York
Representative Matters :
- Served as lead counsel for Fox News Networks in Fox News Network LLC v. Charter Communications Holding Co. LLC , alleging that Charter applied incorrect carriage rates for all systems following its acquisition of Time Warner Cable.
- Serve as lead national counsel for United States Olympic Committee in litigation involving alleged athlete abuse, including cases brought by Olympic gymnasts.
- Represented Sony Music Entertainment in Quincy Jones’ lawsuit against Michael Jackson’s Estate. Successfully removed Sony as a liability defendant in the case, and eliminated exposure to damages.
- Successfully defended 20th Century Fox Film Corporation and Chernin Entertainment in a federal copyright infringement lawsuit involving The Valley of the Dolls. After extensive litigation, the case settled with a complete walkaway and limit on future suits.
- Represented an international video game publisher in copyright infringement claims by major record labels and publishing companies regarding licensing of sound recordings and compositions. Successfully resolved all claims without litigation.
- Represented Azusa Pacific University in a variety of matters, including a civil suit against a former asset manager who misused his position and violated his fiduciary duties to the university. Achieved favorable settlement including repayment of improperly obtained funds.
- Defended a jury consulting firm against international insurance company alleging billing fraud over fifteen year professional relationship. Successfully resolved civil lawsuit and secured non-prosecution of related federal criminal investigation.
- Represented airbag manufacturer Takata Corporation in connection with criminal investigation by U.S. Department of Justice that resulted in the company’s February 27, 2017 plea to one count of wire fraud.
- Conducted an internal investigation and persuaded the Department of Justice to decline prosecution of an international gaming company for alleged violations of the Federal Wire Act.
Memberships and Affiliations :
- Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority, Board of Commissioners (2017-present), Appointed by Mayor Eric Garcetti
- One Justice, Chairman, Board of Directors (2014-present)
- Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles, Chairman, Board of Commissioners (2011-2012), Appointed by Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa
- Attorney General Kamala Harris, Transition Team, Civil Rights Enforcement (2011)
Previous Experience :
- Bet Tzedek Legal Services, President and CEO (2003-2010)
- Neighborhood Defender Service of Harlem, Skadden Fellow, Staff Attorney and Supervising Attorney (1994-1998)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, Staff Attorney (1993-1994)
Rate : $$$