Molly M. Lens is a highly skilled and accomplished litigator specializing in complex civil litigation, contract disputes, intellectual property, copyright, and trademark matters, business torts, class actions, arbitration, securities matters, and regulatory investigations related to the entertainment, media, and financial services industries.
Molly’s clients include major motion picture studios, leading investment banks, and high-net-worth individuals, among others. She frequently advises clients on how to minimize litigation and exposure to risk related to potential transactions.
Molly uses her technical knowledge and effective communication skills to successfully represent and defend her clients in extremely critical and complex matters. She develops practical strategies to help her clients navigate and overcome legal hurdles while minimizing their impact on business operations.
Prior to joining O’Melveny, Molly worked as a litigation associate in New York at a leading international law firm.
- Representing Warner Bros. and New Line Cinema in copyright and contract action over merchandising, service, and theme park rights to The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit
- Represented Citibank in litigation arising out of one of the largest foreign currency trading frauds
- Representing Fox in a trademark dispute to the breakout hit Empire
- Representing two individuals in litigation over control to one of Southern California’s largest outdoor advertising companies
- Representing FremantleMedia in tort and breach of contract case concerning the hit reality show The X-Factor
- Obtained dismissal for Fox Broadcasting, FremantleMedia, CORE Media Group, and others of a putative class action complaint brought by former African-American male contestants who had been disqualified from American Idol
- Obtained favorable settlement for Warner Bros. and The CW Network in a “vertical integration claim” relating to Smallville
- Successfully mediated claims that Sundance Institute had tortuously interfered with third party’s contract for the film festival
- Represented a major media entertainment company in profit participation action involving the syndication of a sitcom
- Advised a motion picture company in preproduction disputes with the producers, directors, and writers, allowing successful sequel film to be completed and released
- Represented a major clothing retailer in class action resulting from company’s announcement that it had reached an agreement to be acquired by two private equity companies
- Represented a major investment bank in federal court against allegations that client assisted, through its role as foreign exchange prime broker, a rogue trader who accumulated more than a half billion dollars in unreported losses
- Represented several investment vehicles in appeals involving tort and contract claims relating to a Ponzi scheme
- Represented a preeminent technology company in litigation related to a dispute between target company and former employee of target
- Represented a New York limited liability company against fraudulent conveyance claims from a former member
- Represented an insurance company in multiple arbitrations concerning an NBA player’s insurance coverage
- Represented a major investment bank in “stuffing” investigation (allegations that investment advisory arm of company was improperly influenced by investment banking arm) by the Securities and Exchange Commission
- Advised a major investment bank about litigation exposure resulting from contemplated acquisition
- Advised a foreign corporation on how to avoid litigation when withdrawing from planned transaction
- Represented a young man from Chad in asylum court in New Jersey who fled his home country due to persecution resulting from his political beliefs
- Represented an individual convicted of several counts of a controlled substance in his appeal
- Represented an individual alleging Eighth Amendment violations after he was housed with a known member of a rival gang in his appeal before the Ninth Circuit
- New York
- The University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 2003: cum laude; Article Editor, Michigan Journal of International Law
- Macalester College, B.A., 2000: cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa
Rate : $$$$