Morgan Gerard’s practice focuses on advising public- and private-sector clients on environmental and energy regulatory compliance, including permitting, rulemaking and enforcement actions. Morgan’s practice has focused on following the emerging energy trends and the associated environmental issues that arise in strengthening grid resilience and modernizing the energy system.
Morgan has counseled clients ranging from those engaging in the hydropower licensing and relicensing process to electric utilities, wholesale generators and distributed energy manufacturers, including electric vehicle manufacturers, solar installers and energy storage providers.
Morgan counsels clients on matters arising under the National Environmental Policy Act, the Federal Power Act, the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, the Coastal Zone Management Act, the Endangered Species Act and similar state and local regulatory schemes.
Before joining Troutman Sanders, Morgan was a founding member of the energy efficiency company Fisonic, where she assisted in the commercialization of new heating and water-based technologies.
Representative Matters :
- Counseled trade association consisting of providers of distributed energy resources in rate and grid modernization proceedings in Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Participated in advising a distributed energy resources company in a favorable advisory proceeding regarding battery storage.
- Involved in the early stages of a NEPA process for mine expansion, including the acquisition of conservation property and accompanying land restrictions to maintain environmental quality.
- Assisted a private university in expanding its on-site generation facility to comply with its pre-existing approvals under the Clean Air Act.
- Assisted in a successful settlement between a municipal wastewater treatment facility and the Environmental Protection Agency. Appealed the municipal utility’s National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System permit before the Environmental Appeals Board.
Professional and Community Involvement : Co-host of Women Who Write Washington, a group focused on highlighting emerging women authors who use their writing to advance women’s issues
- Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M., Dean’s List, with distinction, 2016
- American University, Washington College of Law, J.D., Dean Merit Scholarship, 2013
- University of Maryland, B.A., 2010
COURT ADMISSIONS : U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
BAR ADMISSIONS : District of Columbia, New York
Rate : $$$$