Myla R. Reizen is a partner and health care lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. She focuses her practice on serving clients in the health care industry, particularly with respect to government investigations, health care regulatory matters, internal investigations, and compliance.
Ms. Reizen is a member of the firm’s Health Care Industry Team and the Government Enforcement Defense & Investigations Practice.
Ms. Reizen has significant experience handling health care government investigations and qui tam cases covering a wide range of areas such as physician arrangements, quality of care issues, and coding and billing matters. In this regard, Ms. Reizen has negotiated settlements with numerous government entities, such as the U.S. Department of Justice and the Office of Inspector General.
She has also conducted a substantial number of internal investigations and developed, implemented, and evaluated compliance programs for a wide spectrum of health care providers, including conducting internal reviews, providing comprehensive training and preparing policies and procedures.
Ms. Reizen has also advised clients (including hospitals, physicians, skilled nursing facilities and home health agencies) undergoing various audits and reviews, including ZPIC, RAC and other Medicare and Medicaid audits as well as pre-payment reviews.
In addition, Ms. Reizen has represented health care providers with respect to complicated regulatory matters and a variety of operational issues. Over the past several years, Ms. Reizen has spent a significant amount of time on various initiatives, such as bundled payments, readmissions, value-based purchasing, quality standards, and care transition between acute and post-acute providers.
Ms. Reizen primarily represents health care providers, such as health systems, hospitals, home health agencies, skilled nursing facilities, hospices, and other health care entities.
Her experience ranges from representing not-for-profit and government entities to for-profit systems. She has extensive practical in-house experience, as she was deputy chief compliance officer and legal counsel for a national dialysis company, and she also served as assistant general counsel for a national hospital company.
- Conduct significant number of internal investigations on wide variety for health systems, including critical care, short stay admissions, necessity of therapy services, research billing, oncology billing, outliers, patient steering, drug diversions, necessity of procedures (cardiac, neurology and GI) and physician arrangements
- Evaluate and prepare self-disclosures, including Stark, OIG and state
- Settle cases for large health systems for alleged unnecessary procedures
- Settle cases for health systems for DRG coding
- Settle cases for physician arrangements
Ms. Reizen is a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania Law School (J.D.). She received her undergraduate degree from Vanderbilt University (B.S., summa cum laude).
Affiliations and Admissions :
Ms. Reizen is a frequent presenter in national and state venues on compliance and legal issues. She has also been published in a number of national and state publications.
She is on the executive council for the Florida Bar Health Law Section and is a member of the CLE Committee for the Florida Bar. Ms. Reizen is also a member of the American Health Lawyers Association, American Bar Association, and the Health Care Compliance Association.
Representative Matters :
- Representing one of the largest health systems in South Florida in a False Claims Act qui tam whistleblower litigation asserting a lack of medical necessity and alleged Stark law violations.
- Representing major health care system in South Florida in investigation by the Department of Justice, U.S. Attorneys’ Office of the Southern District of Florida.
Rate : $$$$