Myoka Kim Goodin is a partner in Locke Lord’s intellectual property and litigation departments. Miki focuses her practice on complex intellectual property litigation matters with a primary emphasis on disputes involving the Hatch-Waxman provisions of the Patent Act and the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act.
She has extensive experience in all areas of litigation, from fact discovery (written and deposition), expert discovery (expert reports and depositions), dispositive and preliminary injunction motion practice, through trial and appeals.
Miki also represents clients in antitrust and patent litigation actions, provides patent counseling related to the Hatch-Waxman provisions, and represents both domestic and international clients in a variety of disputes involving the entertainment and media industry. She is also a member of the Firm’s Board of Directors.
Representative Experience :
- Hatch-Waxman Litigation:
- Defending paragraph IV Hatch-Waxman patent infringement action involving three patents relating to posaconazole (Noxafil®).
- Defending patent infringement action involving three additional patents relating to extended-release oxymorphone hydrochloride (Opana® ER).
- Defended paragraph IV Hatch-Waxman patent infringement action involving three patents relating to extended-release oxymorphone hydrochloride (Opana® ER). Resolved matter through settlement.
- Defended paragraph IV Hatch-Waxman patent infringement action concerning a patent claiming a method of treating attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) with atomoxetine hydrochloride (Strattera®) and obtained a finding invalidating all claims for lack of enablement/utility from the trial court.
- Defended generic company in Hatch-Waxman patent infringement action concerning an generic extended-release antibiotic product (Biaxin® XL). Resolved matter through settlement.
- Patent Litigation:
- Represented medical products innovator in patent infringement cases concerning septal occluder devices implanted within the heart via catheter to close holes between the chambers of the heart.
- Antitrust Litigation:
- Defended world’s largest global electronic payments network in antitrust actions brought by competitor networks.
- Defended electronic payments network in consolidated antitrust class actions brought by merchants relating to fees charged on credit card transactions.
- Entertainment Litigation:
- Defended video game manufacturer in action for trademark infringement and other related claims brought under the Lanham Act.
- Represented Japanese film production company in dispute involving producer and director.
- Obtained dismissal of complaint alleging breach of contract, fraud and other causes of action, for one of Japan’s largest catalog and mail-order sales companies.
Professional Affiliations :
- Member, American Bar Association
- J.D., University of Southern California Gould School of Law, 2003
- B.A., Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley, 1999
- B.A., Psychology, University of California, Berkeley, 1999
Admissions : California; Illinois
Rate : $$$