Nancy Cohen is a partner in the Denver office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Professional Liability Practice. Her practice primarily focuses on the representation of lawyers in malpractice claims and grievances and provides risk management advice to lawyers and law firms.
Nancy defends health care and other professionals concerning licensure issues. Over the course of her career, Nancy has handled a variety of matters, including commercial litigation matters, contract disputes and personal injury. She has a Colorado State and Federal practice, including trial and appellate matters.
Nancy represents lawyers, health care professionals and accountants on grievances against their licenses. She has handled legal matters on lawyers being investigated by the Colorado Attorney General related to Colorado’s Fair Debt Collection Act and the Colorado Consumer Protection Act.
Recently, Nancy represented a lawyer (not the target) who was subpoenaed to produced documents before a federal grand jury concerning a client for whom he had provided tax related services.
- University of Denver Sturm College of Law, Juris Doctor, 1981
- University of Denver, 1978
- State Bar Admissions, Colorado
- United States Courts of Appeals & Supreme Court,
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- President, Denver Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association (member of the Professional Liability Committee and Ethics Committee)
- American Law Institute
- Member and now Special Advisor to the American Bar Association Center for Professional Responsibility Standing Committee on Discipline
- Defense Research Institute
- Won summary judgment for an out-of-state law firm and individual lawyers on a variety of claims in federal district court. The summary judgment order was affirmed on appeal by the 10th Circuit.
- Won a Motion to Dismiss on behalf of a lawyer arising from the lawyer’s representation of a mortgage company in a foreclosure case. The federal district court awarded attorneys’ fees and costs to the lawyer.
- Won a Motion to Dismiss on behalf of a lawyer on claims involving defamation, RICO, conspiracy, outrageous conduct and other claims. The court awarded the lawyer his attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Tried a two day lawyer disciplinary trial before the Colorado Supreme Court Hearing Board. Several charges were dismissed after presentation of the evidence. The People appealed dismissal of one claim, and after oral argument the Colorado Supreme Court affirmed the hearing board’s decision.
Rate : $$$