With a wide-ranging legal background, Nancy A. Johnson skillfully advises and defends employers who are confronted by complex workplace challenges and the evolving labor and employment landscape.
As a true business partner to her clients, Nancy works with in-house counsel through all phases of labor and employment litigation in state and federal courts and at the administrative agency level.
Her targeted advice in the area of human resources reflects a strong combination of employment law knowledge and significant experience in other corporate legal matters, including bankruptcies, theft of trade secrets and qui tam actions relating to Medicaid and Medicare fraud.
Leveraging her previous experience as plaintiffs’ counsel, Nancy brings distinctive advantages to her defense of management-side clients. Additionally, she provides keen insights into workers’ issues based on the various companies where she worked before starting a law career. Nancy has favorably resolved a number of labor and employment complaints and lawsuits, including the following :
- Blocked a nationwide class action sought by call center investment advisors who alleged overtime, off-the-clock and other Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) violations against a large banking company.
- Obtained temporary and permanent injunctive relief and secured damages for a large national supplier of maintenance, repair and operations products after a competitor raided its sales force and attempted to take over many of its long-standing customer relationships.
- Secured a defense verdict for a Florida construction company and supervisor in a sexual assault and harassment lawsuit.
- Halted a nationwide class action sought by customer relations workers who alleged FLSA infractions by a major financial services company.
Outside of her legal accomplishments, Nancy has devoted substantial efforts to volunteer work. In a Florida case that drew nationwide attention, she assisted in keeping an abused and traumatized 12-year-old out of prison after he had been charged as an adult with murder. The boy eventually was sentenced to a juvenile facility, where he received much-needed counseling and guidance.
Nancy also assisted in the founding of the student rape crisis center and hotline at Grinnell College, helped women in domestic violence cases and guided children in literacy and mentoring programs. Recently, in recognition of her work on behalf of Northeast Florida United Way, she was selected as a Stein Fellow.
- J.D., Washington University School of Law, 1999
- B.S., Grinnell College, 1996
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
Professional & Community Affiliations :
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Member, Jacksonville Bar Association
- Member, Florida Association for Women Lawyers
- Associate, Chester Bedell Inns of Court
- Member, Board of Directors, First Coast Figure Skating Club
Rate : $$$$