Nancy L. Ober devotes the majority of her practice to employee benefits and related litigation, but also regularly counsels employers on employment law matters, including leaves and wage and hour issues.
In her employee benefits practice, she advises employers and plan fiduciaries on the design and administration of qualified pension plans, 403(b) plans and executive compensation arrangements, and related legal compliance issues.
She also advises plan sponsors and fiduciaries of health and welfare plans. The scope of her benefits practice includes :
- Affordable Care Act compliance
- Fiduciary responsibilities and plan governance
- Litigation prevention
- Employee benefit issues in corporate transactions
- Governmental plans
Nancy represents employers and plan fiduciaries in the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) and other benefits litigation, including the following :
- Benefits and fiduciary claims
- The Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) violations
- ERISA section 510 discrimination claims
- Multiemployer plan claims and actions under ERISA and the Labor Management Relations Act for employer contributions and pension withdrawal liability
Her litigation successes include obtaining dismissal of a putative ERISA class action for denial of benefits against a national employer and successfully resolving litigation over a multiemployer pension plan’s imposition of a default funding schedule on a contributing employer. She has also been retained as an expert witness in ERISA-related litigation.
Nancy has authored and co-authored articles on new benefits legislation, the contingent workforce, domestic partnerships and same-sex marriage. She has been a speaker and panelist before employer and professional groups on current employee benefits, executive compensation and employment law issues, and most recently, the Affordable Care Act.
- J.D., University of California, Berkeley
- B.A., Wellesley College
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
Professional & Community Affiliations :
- Member, Tax and Labor Sections, American Bar Association
- Member, Labor and Employment Law Section, State Bar of California
Rate : $$$