Naresh Kilaru focuses his practice on trademark, unfair competition, copyright, trade secret, and right-of-publicity law. He counsels clients on brand protection and enforcement strategies in the United States and around the world.
Naresh has extensive experience in all aspects of trademark, copyright, trade secret, and unfair competition litigation, including cases involving computer source code, traditional trademarks, product packaging and product configuration trade dress, false advertising, counterfeiting, gray-market goods, and domain names. He is also involved in domestic and international trademark prosecution.
Naresh’s broad experience in U.S. district court and appellate litigation includes jury trials, examining witnesses and handling oral arguments, conducting mock trials, taking and defending depositions, coordinating expert discovery, overseeing the design and implementation of trademark surveys, participating in hearings and judicial conferences, negotiating settlements, and representing clients in mediations.
In addition, he has authored numerous briefs and motions on a wide range of issues, including motions for and against temporary restraining orders, ex parte seizures, asset freezes, expedited and ex parte discovery, preliminary injunctive relief, summary judgment, and appeals. Naresh has also litigated numerous cases at the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
Naresh previously served as in-house counsel at Turner Broadcasting System and advised internal business clients on all aspects of copyright and entertainment law, including clearances of rights, content agreements, production agreements, distribution agreements, transactional issues, and due diligence.
Naresh’s pro bono activities include representing political asylum seekers through Human Rights First and giving regular presentations on trademark and copyright law to local small business owners and artists for the Washington Area Lawyers for the Arts.
- George Washington University Law School J.D., 2002
- Harvard University B.A., Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations, magna cum laude, 1999
- District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, S.D. New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
Professional Activities :
- American Bar Association (chair, IP Transactions & Licensing Committee, Section on Intellectual Property Law, 2013-2017; vice chair, Trademark Litigation Committee, Section on Intellectual Property Law, 2012-2015)
- Intellectual Property Owners Association (member, U.S. Trademark Law Committee, 2012-present)
- International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys (FICPI)
- Coalition Against Counterfeiting and Piracy, U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- U.S. Council for International Business (member, Intellectual Property Committee, 2008-present)
- International Trademark Association (member, Young Practitioners Committee, 2014-2015)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association (member, Section on Intellectual Property Law, 2002-present)
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- National South Asian Bar Association
Rate : $$$