Nathaniel “Nate” R. Kissel focuses his practice in the areas of medical malpractice including the defense of nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and hospitals. Mr. Kissel has handled the defense of long-term care and acute care litigation for some of the nation’s largest providers.
He also handled significant appellate work including, drafting appeals and motions for interlocutory relief at the Kentucky Court of Appeals, Kentucky Supreme Court, and the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals. Nate also has extensive bankruptcy and creditor relations experience.
Before commencing law school, Nate worked as a staff writer and photographer for The Oldham Era in La Grange, Kentucky where he won several awards from the Kentucky Press Association for news coverage, investigative reporting, feature stories, editorials and columns.
- Successfully obtained enforcement of arbitration agreements for numerous healthcare clients through the filing of Federal court complaints to compel arbitration pursuant to the Federal Arbitration Act (“FAA”), as well as enforcement under often-hostile state law.
- Coordinated the defense of dozens of medical negligence, corporate negligence, wrongful death and resident’s rights claims. Defense of these claims routinely includes significant and wide-ranging discovery disputes, including the coordination of extensive e-discovery.
- Assisted nursing home clients with collection matters, including the drafting of promissory notes and mortgages and the drafting and filing of judgment liens, as well as negotiating resolution of debts with estate planning attorneys representing residents.
- Represented numerous banking and corporate clients in Chapter 7, 13, and 11 bankruptcy matters.
- J.D. University of Kentucky
- B.A. Centre College, cum laude
Memberships : Notes Editor, Kentucky Law Journal
Rate : $$$