Neal Ross Marder is a seasoned trial lawyer with a diverse civil litigation practice. He works with in-house counsel, senior management and boards of directors for companies, oftentimes facing high-profile, bet-the-company business disputes. Neal has successfully tried cases on both the plaintiff and defense side before state and federal courts and arbitrators across the country. He also has substantial cross-border litigation experience.
Neal brings his more than 30 years of experience as lead trial counsel to bear in defending against class action suits of all types. He has done so with a high rate of success: dismissals at the pleading stage, rulings striking entirely or narrowing class claims, decisions denying class certification and highly favorable settlements are all among the results he regularly delivers to clients.
- Defends against securities litigation and consumer fraud class and mass actions.
- Handles high-profile, complex business disputes across the country and for large public and private companies.
- Leads the firm’s consumer class actions practice.
- In a shareholder class action lawsuit alleging insider trading and control person liability, negotiated a highly successful settlement on behalf of an investment fund. The outcome was achieved after obtaining orders denying a second attempt at class certification and shortening the proposed class period, and forcing plaintiffs to withdraw a key expert witness.
- Representing a prominent trucking company in “bet the company” class action litigation regarding alleged misrepresentations to 18,000 drivers regarding earning potential and benefits. The matter is ongoing.
- Secured a dismissal with prejudice of a Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) class action matter on behalf of a home furnishing retailer.
- On behalf of a major restaurant chain, secured the dismissal with prejudice of a putative consumer class action in federal district court. The suit alleged misleading and deceptive business practices in connection with suggested gratuity amounts on split checks.
- Obtained nationwide approval of a class action settlement, resolving more than a dozen putative statewide consumer fraud class actions filed around the country. The client was the underwriting entity of a premier global insurance company.
- Member, American Business Trial Lawyers Association.
- Member, Association of Business Trial Lawyers.
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association.
- Board member, Counsel for Justice of the Los Angeles County Bar Association.
- Member, American Bar Association.
- Member, litigation section, State Bar of California.
- Member, Strafford Class Action Advisory Board.
- Member, Bet Tzedek.
- B.A., University of California, Los Angeles,cum laude, 1982
- J.D., Loyola Law School, cum laude, 1986
Rate : $$$$