Nekia Hackworth Jones is a partner in Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP’s Atlanta office, where she handles white collar criminal defense matters, government investigations, and business litigation. Nekia is a seasoned litigator with over a decade of experience in federal trial and appellate courts.
Nekia rejoined Nelson Mullins in 2018 after a 10-year career with the United States Department of Justice, where she served both as a trial attorney handling complex criminal investigations and as a legal advisor to senior-level government officials.
From 2008 to 2018, Nekia was an Assistant U.S. Attorney of the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Atlanta, handling criminal matters ranging from healthcare and financial fraud to organized crime and human trafficking.
In 2015, Nekia was selected by Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates to work in the Office of the Deputy Attorney General in Washington, DC, as Senior Counsel and, later, as Associate Deputy Attorney General and Executive Director of the Financial Fraud Enforcement Task Force.
- Harvard Law School, JD (2004)
- Harvard Business School, Master of Business Administration (2004)
- Emory University, BBA, cum laude (1999)
- New York
Clerkships : The Honorable Sterling Johnson Jr., U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York (2005 – 2006)
Previous Professional Experience:
- U.S. Attorney’s Office, Atlanta (2008-2015, 2017-2018)
- Investigated and prosecuted approximately 100 federal criminal cases, including mortgage fraud, tax fraud, healthcare fraud, securities and investment fraud, human trafficking, criminal street gangs, firearms violations, public corruption, and drug trafficking
- U.S. Department of Justice, Washington, DC (2015-2017)
- Associate Deputy Attorney General (October 2016 to January 2017) & Executive Director of the Financial Fraud Enforcement Task Force (August 2016 to January 2017).
- Litigation Associate, Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough (2006-2008)
- Corporate Restructuring Associate, New York office of international law firm (2004-2005)
- State Bar of Georgia
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Gate City Bar Association
- Georgia Association of Black Women Attorneys
- Georgia Association of Women Lawyers
Rate : $$$