Nicholas M. Buell represents clients in complex commercial litigation as well as corporate and government investigations. Nick advises clients in state and federal court actions, as well as alternative dispute resolution processes, from pre-complaint analysis to post-trial appellate practice.
Nick is a member of the Pillsbury team representing the cities of New York, Philadelphia and San Francisco in their path-breaking suit against the Department of Defense and the military branches.
The suit seeks to ensure those government agencies comply with their legal obligation to report conviction and dishonorable discharge information to the national criminal background check system for gun sales.
The suit has been extensively covered by the print and broadcast media, including by The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, the AP, CNN, NBC, MSNBC, and PBS, among others.
REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE :
- Represented foreign power company in litigation involving fraud, breach of contract and breach of warranty claims.
- Represented CMBS Trust and the loan’s special servicer in breach of contract action.
- Represented nonprofit in DOJ investigations involving the Anti-Kickback Statute.
- Conducted internal investigations for large financial services clients on issues involving federal and state laws.
- Represented food and supplement products corporations in consumer protection class actions.
- Represented CMBS trusts in successfully foreclosing on properties securing securitized commercial loans.
- Represented CMBS special servicer in the pre-answer dismissal of lawsuit brought by defaulting commercial borrower asserting claims of tortious interference and breach of fiduciary duty.
- J.D., Fordham University School of Law, 2013
- B.A., Political Science, Vassar College, 2010
ADMISSIONS : New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
Rate : $$$