Nicholas M. Lagerwall is a partner and intellectual property lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. He is a member of the firm’s Electronics Practice.Nicholas’ practice focuses on assisting clients in protecting their technology. He has created and managed valuable patent portfolios for numerous companies in both the electronics and mechanical technology spaces.
In particular, Nicholas has significant patent prosecution and counseling experience in the areas of medical devices, imaging devices and systems, wireless and wired communication protocols and systems, optical networks, computer hardware and software, semiconductor devices and fabrication, control systems, and mechanical devices and connectors.
In addition, he has significant experience in district court litigation as well as a variety of post-grant proceedings before the U.S. Patent Office representing both patent owners and petitioners.
Nicholas’ post-grant experience includes numerous inter partes review proceedings, post grant review proceedings, covered business method proceedings, reexamination proceedings, and reissue applications.
Prior to joining Foley, Nicholas worked as an electrical engineer at General Motors’ Janesville Assembly Plant, where he designed and maintained communication systems, robotic assembly systems, lighting systems, fire suppression systems and power transmission systems.
Previously, Nicholas was a summer associate for Foley, as well as at the second-largest law firm in Wisconsin. He also served as a law clerk at The Medical College of Wisconsin, where he drafted and reviewed software licenses, provider agreements and service agreements and drafted trademark applications.
Nicholas graduated from Marquette University Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2008), where he was a member of the Marquette Law Review. He received his undergraduate degree in electrical engineering from the University of Wisconsin – Madison (B.S., 2004).
Admissions : Nicholas is admitted to practice in Wisconsin and before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Representative Matters :
- Assisted Wing Capital Group, LLC, a Milwaukee-based private equity firm, in structuring the acquisition by Sani-Matic Holdings, LLC of all of the outstanding stock of Sani-Matic Systems Holdings, Inc., a Wisconsin-based corporation that owns all of the outstanding stock of Sani-Matic, Inc.
- Sani-Matic, Inc. specifies, designs, and manufactures sanitary process cleaning equipment including Clean-in-Place (CIP) Systems, Clean-Out of-Place (COP) Immersion Parts Washers, Automated Product Carrier Washers (Vat, Tunnel, Rack, Stick), Cabinet Washers, and related components.
- Consideration for the transaction involved a combination of cash and rollover equity. Foley also assisted the sellers (with buyer as guarantor) in securing traditional senior debt financing to facilitate the stock purchase, successfully negotiating all financing documents.
- In addition to negotiating and drafting the purchase agreement, Foley attorneys negotiated and drafted employment agreements and incentive unit agreements with key seller employees to ensure the acquired business assets would continue to be effectively managed following closing.
- The deal marks Foley’s first representation of Wing Capital Group in an acquisition. Foley successfully completed the acquisition and financing documents within a 21-day timeframe in order to meet the parties’ year-end closing goal.
Rate : $$$$