Nicholas M. Reiter focuses his practice on labor and employment matters and commercial litigation. He regularly advises and litigates on behalf of clients in the restaurant, hospitality, construction, healthcare, education, and financial services sectors. Nick’s areas of concentration include:
- Representing employers in employment litigation matters in state and federal courts such as claims of discrimination, harassment, retaliation, constructive discharge, and wage and hour violations.
- Advising and counseling employers regarding their workplace practices and procedures, including employee handbooks, termination and hiring decisions, and disability accommodations.
- Conducting company-wide audits of employee classifications to ensure compliance with federal and state wage and hour laws.
- Negotiating collective bargaining agreements and representing employers in other labor union disputes.
- Litigating commercial actions such as breach of contract claims, misappropriation of trade secrets, and unfair competition matters.
- Representing independent schools and other educational institutions in arbitrations, mediations, and lawsuits involving employees, students, and students’ families.
- Successfully defended two healthcare system officers against retaliatory discharge claim during five-day jury trial in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- Successfully moved for dismissal of labor union’s action to compel arbitration of disputes relating to medical benefits for client’s retirees
- Successfully defended employer against breach of employment contract claim during four-day trial in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Defeated labor union’s bid for recognition as collective bargaining representative after advising and coordinating employer’s five-month anti-union campaign
- Attained summary judgment dismissal of an employee’s promissory estoppel and defamation claims against large hospital employer
- Defeated employee’s appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit seeking reinstatement of claims for alleged race discrimination, retaliation and constitutional rights violations.
- J.D. cum laude Brooklyn Law School 2008
- B.A. College of William & Mary 2004
Bar Admissions : New York
Court Admissions :
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
Clerk Experience : Honorable David N. Hurd U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York.
- Prior to joining Venable, Nick was a law clerk for United States District Judge David N. Hurd of the Northern District of New York.
- While attending law school, Nick was editor-in-chief of the Journal of Law and Policy.
Rate : $$$