Nichole L. Sterling is focusing her developing practice on electronic discovery and privacy and data protection. She has significant experience managing discovery in complex litigation and regulatory investigations, and holds the CEDS’ eDiscovery specialist credential. Nichole works seamlessly with case teams to ensure client needs are met.
In addition to holding a foreign language doctorate, Nichole has spent several years living and working in Europe, including a clerkship at the Court of Justice of the European Union, and is well positioned to assist clients with cross-border discovery and data protection concerns.
- Works directly with in-house counsel, internal stakeholders and third-party vendors to preserve evidence following cybersecurity incidents.
- Works with the litigation team in class actions and regulatory investigations resulting from cybersecurity incidents to manage discovery.
- Advises on compliance with international data transfer restrictions and data localization requirements, including the utilization of cross-border transfer mechanisms, such as the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield framework and standard contractual clauses.
- Assisted in drafting and negotiating multi-party contracts in complex technology transactions.
- Member of the BakerHostetler team serving as court-appointed counsel to the Securities Investor Protection Act Trustee for the liquidation of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC, an unprecedented recovery effort involving hundreds of actions.
- Assisted in the representation of a transnational food and beverage company; involved in discovery in several cases arising out of false claims allegations against the client.
- Supported discovery efforts in litigation and regulatory investigations in connection with the representation of one of the world’s leading credit rating agencies in all matters arising out of its rating of structured finance securities, including securities backed by subprime mortgages.
- American Bar Association, Section of International Law
- New York City Bar Association, European Affairs Committee (2015 to 2018)
- The Sedona Conference Working Group on Electronic Document Retention
- J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 2012; Michigan Telecommunications and Technology Law Review, Executive Production Editor; International Transactions Clinic, Student Attorney (2010 to 2012)
- Ph.D., Scandinavian Studies, University of California, Berkeley, 2008
- B.A., Gustavus Adolphus College, 1997, magna cum laude
Admissions : New York
Rate : $$$