Nicole Marie Black is an associate in the Denver office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Professional Liability Practice. Ms. Black represents attorneys, accountants, and real estate brokers on regulatory inquiries related to their licensure and on professional malpractice and business tort claims.
Ms. Black’s practice also includes complex commercial and real estate litigation, as well as insurance coverage and bad faith litigation. Ms. Black represents contractors in payment disputes, including collection of fees under mechanics liens.
She has experience representing private corporations on both plaintiff and defense in cases involving business breakups, regulatory investigations, and allegations of unfair trade practices. Ms. Black also represents public and private entities in land use and boundary disputes.
In her civic activities, Ms. Black values a global perspective of what it means to be a legal professional: she teaches, mentors, and guest presents in service to the community. Ms. Black is dedicated to improving the legal profession through her leadership of a variety of boards and committee of the Colorado Bar and Denver Bar Associations. In 2018, Ms. Black was named a Colorado Rising Star by Super Lawyers Magazine.
- University of Denver Sturm College of Law, Juris Doctor, 2011
- University of Denver, Daniels College of Business, International Business, magna cum laude, beta gamma sigma, highest honors, 2007
- University of Denver, French, magna cum laude, phi beta kappa, high honors, 2007
- State Bar Admissions, Colorado
- United States Courts of Appeals & Supreme Court, United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- United States District Courts, United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- Colorado Bar Association
- Vice Chair, Business Law Section Executive Council, 2016–Present
- Member, Joint Management Committee of the Denver and Colorado Bar Associations, 2016–Present
- Member, Colorado Bar Association Future of the Bar Planning Taskforce, November 2014–2017
- Denver Bar Association
- Mentor, Young Lawyers Division Mentoring Program/Colorado Attorney Mentoring Program (CAMP), 2012–Present
- Chair, Mentoring Planning Committee, 2014–2018
- American Bar Association
- Business Law Section
- Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section
Legal Experience :
- Represented law firm and attorneys in a case involving claim of malicious prosecution and prevailed on motion to dismiss all claims with prejudice.
- Represented contractor in a case involving failure to deliver commercial goods and prevailed on motion to dismiss all claims for lack of personal and subject matter jurisdiction.
- Represented excess insurance carriers in insurance coverage litigation involving third-party claims by primary carrier of bad faith related to settlement of the underlying claims, and successfully obtained dismissal of all claims with prejudice.
- Represented property manager and property owner of a large residential apartment community on claims involving professional negligence and premises liability and successfully defeated class certification.
- Successfully defended seller of business in a commercial arbitration involving allegations by buyer of fraudulent transfer and various business torts.
Rate : $$$