Nicole A. Saharsky is co-head of Mayer Brown’s Supreme Court & Appellate Practice. She previously served 10 years as an Assistant to the Solicitor General in the United States Department of Justice, where she briefed and argued cases before the US Supreme Court and advised on government appeals in the federal courts of appeals.
Nicole has argued more cases in the US Supreme Court than any other woman over the last decade. She has argued 29 cases, briefed 45 cases on the merits, and filed hundreds of certiorari-stage briefs and motions in the Supreme Court.
Her cases involved a broad range of business issues, including those related to securities, intellectual property, labor and employment, bankruptcy, personal jurisdiction and corporate criminal liability. Nicole is frequently asked to provide commentary on Supreme Court developments by C-SPAN, Law360, and other national media outlets.
Nicole focuses her practice on managing appeals and advising clients in a number of specialized areas, including intellectual property, data privacy, bankruptcy, employment, consumer finance, media and entertainment, telecommunications and criminal law.
Nicole previously served as a Bristow Fellow in the Office of the Solicitor General and clerked for Judge Carolyn Dineen King of the Fifth Circuit. She received her law degree summa cum laude from University of Minnesota Law School where she served as Lead Articles Editor of the Minnesota Law Review. She earned her undergraduate degree in chemical engineering from Northwestern University.
- Northwestern University, BS, summa cum laude
- University of Minnesota Law School, JD
- District of Columbia
- US Supreme Court
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- Securities Fraud
- Omnicare, Inc. v. Laborers District Council Construction Industry Pension Fund (2014)
- Amgen Inc. v. Connecticut Retirement Plans and Trust Funds (2012)
- Labor & Employment
- Tibble v. Edison International (2014) (ERISA)
- Unite Here Local 355 v. Mulhall (2013) (Labor-Management Relations Act)
- Chamber of Commerce of the U.S. v. Brown (2007) (National Labor Relations Act)
- Intellectual Property
- Matal v. Tam (2016) (Trademark)
- Petrella v. Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Inc. (2013) (Copyright)
- Ransom v. FIA Card Services, N.A. (2010)
- Corporate Criminal and Civil Liability
- Kellogg Brown & Root Services, Inc. v. United States ex rel. Carter(2014) (False Claims Act)
- Southern Union Co. v. United States (2011) (Resource Conservation and Recovery Act)
- Constitutional Law
- Puerto Rico v. Sanchez Valle (2015) (Territory Clause)
- NASA v. Nelson (2010) (Privacy)
- Stop the Beach Renourishment, Inc. v. Florida Department of Environmental Protection (2009) (Takings Clause)
- Civil Rights and Official Immunity
- McCrory v. Harris (2016)
- Florence v. Board of Chosen Freeholders of the County of Burlington(2011)
Rate : $$$