Nicole C. Wixted represents clients in litigation matters in state and federal trial courts nationwide. Nicole advises and represents life insurers, property & casualty insurers, and brokerage general agencies on a broad range of issues including the secondary market for life insurance, stranger-originated life insurance (STOLI), premium financing, cost of insurance, fraud, coverage, claims handling practices, market conduct and compliance, construction defects, product liability and premises liability.
Nicole also evaluates issues relating to the issuance of insurance to foreign nationals. Nicole represents insurance and annuity companies in disputes arising out of the attempted assignment of annuity payments, third-party garnishments, interpleader claims, beneficiary disputes and overpayment recovery in jurisdictions throughout the United States.
In addition, Nicole has handled numerous tax shelter-related claims and has defended an international business software manufacturer in actions regarding alleged improper implementation of certain software products.
Nicole is frequently admitted pro hac vice to represent clients in state and federal courts throughout the country. After law school, she clerked for the Hon. Lee B. Laskin of the Superior Court of the State of New Jersey in Camden.
- Annuity Related Matters; Structured Settlement Related Matters; Interpleader Actions
- Obtained a dismissal of claims brought by a payee against an annuity issuer for following the payee’s instructions and making payments pursuant to an assignment agreement entered into by the payee in Connecticut General Life Insurance Company v. Edward S. Feldman & Penn Mortgage Company, Inc., No. WMN-14-03670, 2015 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 85383 (D. Md. July 1, 2015).
- Obtained the denial of proposed transfers of workers’ compensation related annuity payments.
- Obtained the dismissal of insurer in action by conservator alleging improper distribution of funds under an annuity.
- STOLI Related Matters; Life Insurance Related Matters : Obtained the denial of motions seeking to dismiss STOLI and/or misrepresentation claims by insurance companies.
- Other Matters :
- Obtained the resolution of various tax shelter claims asserted against plan administrator.
- Obtained the resolution of a lawsuit seeking $65 million in damages arising out of retroactive capitation payments in connection with the acquisition of a health maintenance organization.
- Obtained denial of TRO seeking to enjoin client from participating in settlement discussions in another lawsuit.
- Obtained resolution for client in pro bono matter in connection with a violation of a final restraining by negotiating a plea agreement for time served and probation.
- Rutgers University School of Law – Camden, J.D., 2005, Journal of Law and Urban Policy
- Wesley College, B.S., 2002, cum laude
Bar Admissions : New Jersey, Pennsylvania
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
Rate : $$$