Technology, intellectual property and data are amongst the most valuable and strategic assets for a business. Clients turn to Nigel L. Howard to help them execute on their most innovative and complex transactions involving technology, intellectual property and data. He is a “tremendous attorney” singled out for his detail-oriented approach, according to clients interviewed by Chambers and Partners.
Peer commentators note his admirable commercial awareness, which achieves business-focused results, often in the most challenging of circumstances. For over 25 years he has specialized in complex commercial transactions such as strategic alliances, licensing, distribution agreements and outsourcing. Clients range from start-ups and emerging companies to international corporations.
He has led negotiations of billion dollar service agreements that were critical to his client, and successfully handled the intellectual property and data issues on over 250 venture capital and M&A transactions.
He serves as one of the leaders of Covington’s multidisciplinary Digital Health Initiative, which brings together the firm’s considerable resources across the broad array of legal, regulatory, commercial, and policy issues relating to the development and marketing of digital health technologies.
Mr. Howard has been at the forefront of initiatives to protect data assets for his clients, helping them achieve a competitive advantage or fend off a competitive threat. He advises clients on their proprietary rights to data and global strategies for protecting these assets.
He has represented companies in transactions covering the full spectrum of data related activities, including data capture and storage, business and operational intelligence, analytics and visualization, personalized merchandizing, and the related cloud computing services.
Mr. Howard has been ranked by Chambers Global, Chambers USA, Legal 500, Best Lawyers in America, and Who’s Who in American Law. He is frequent speaker on data, distribution and technology legal issues, and regularly contributes to Covington’s blogs. He has experience in the e-health, fintech, and travel and hospitality industries.
His past and current clients include American Airlines, the American Bankers Association, American Express, AstraZeneca, British Airways, Brown Brothers Harriman, Cathay Pacific, Cisco, CoBank, DoubleClick, Etihad, Farelogix, Iberia, Merck, Merrill Lynch, Microsoft, NCR, the NFL, Novartis, P&G, Philippine Airlines, Promontory Financial, Singapore Airlines, Teva, TouchTunes, UBS, and Wyeth.
- University of London, LL.M., 1991
- Lancaster University, England, LL.B., 1987
Bar Admissions : New York
Representative Matters :
- American Airlines on a series of global ticket inventory distribution arrangements with Amadeus, Sabre, and Travelport.
- American Airlines in information technology services agreements with Amadeus, Sabre, HP, and ITA Software (Google).
- AstraZeneca in a digital health collaboration for the development of a new medical outcomes data research and analytics system with Healthcore.
- Microsoft Corp. in the $4.5 billion winning bid in the auction of Nortel Networks Corporation’s 6000 patents and patent applications.
- Yukon-Kuskokwim Health Corporation in connection with the negotiation of a license and service agreement for an enterprise wide Electronic Medical Records (EMR) system.
- TouchTunes in a series of licensing and distribution agreements with leading mobile app developers.
- Endorex, Inc. in its joint venture with Elan Corporation plc to further develop and market oral and mucosal vaccine delivery technologies.
Rate : $$$