Nina Huerta is Managing Partner of the Firm’s Los Angeles office where she focuses on labor and employment matters. She has defended employers in litigation involving claims of employment discrimination and harassment, violation of family and medical leave laws, violation of wage and hour laws and misclassification of employment status.
Nina has assisted clients with defending class actions, including class and collective actions brought under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and the California Labor Code. She also provides counseling and advice to employers on a number of issues, including hiring and discipline, wage and hour compliance, and protected leave policies and procedures.
Nina also has represented mortgage lenders, servicers and other financial institutions in defending against individual and class action claims for violations of various state and federal laws governing lending and servicing of residential mortgage loans.
Representative Experience :
- Represented insurance company against claims of race discrimination under Title VII, and obtained summary judgment dismissal.
- Represented insurance company in a case brought by a former independent contractor alleging misclassification and age discrimination, and obtained summary judgment (affirmed on appeal).
- Represented insurance company in a case brought by a former independent contractor alleging misclassification, age discrimination and unpaid wages. Plaintiff sought over $8 million in compensatory damages and punitive damages. After a 7-week jury trial involving approximately 30 witnesses, the Locke Lord trial team obtained a defense verdict.
- Represented insurance company in a case brought by a former independent contractor for fraud and other claims. Obtained a defense verdict after a one week jury trial.
- Represented energy company against claims by former employee for wrongful termination and breach of contract, and obtained summary judgment dismissal on all claims.Defense of a long term nursing care facility against claims of sex and pregnancy discrimination, and obtained a defense verdict at arbitration.
- Represented entertainment industry client in Labor Commissioner proceedings brought by executives for unpaid wages, and obtained a defense judgment on all claims
Professional Affiliations :
- President and Trustee, Mexican American Bar Foundation (MABF)
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section
- Latina Lawyers Bar Association, Member
- J.D., University of Southern California Gould School of Law, 2003
- B.A., summa cum laude , Arizona State University, 2000
Admissions : California, 2003
Admitted To Practice :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 2003
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
Rate : $$$