Noah A. Finkel is a partner in the Labor & Employment Department and is a Co-Chair of the Wage & Hour Litigation Practice Group in Seyfarth Shaw LLP’s Chicago office. His principal area of concentration lies in wage-and-hour matters, in which he has represented companies more than 150 actual or putative collective and/or class action matters under the Fair Labor Standards Act and/or state wage-and-hour laws.
He also regularly advises companies on compliance with the Fair Labor Standards Act and state wage-and-hour laws, including the performance of exempt status reviews and pay practice audits. Mr. Finkel is one of three editors-in-chief of the treatise Wage & Hour Collective and Class Litigation, a more than 1000-page book devoted to the litigation of wage & hour matters.
The treatise literally is “the book” on wage & hour litigation. Mr. Finkel has been lead counsel for Epic Systems in the district and appellate courts, and co-counsel at the United States Supreme Court, in Epic Systems Corp. v. Lewis, which established that employers lawfully may require employees to enter into an arbitration agreement containing a waiver of the ability to participate in a class or collective action against employer.
Mr. Finkel participated in drafting of public comments to the United States Department of Labor on its proposed regulatory changes to the FLSA’s white-collar exemptions on behalf of the Society for Human Resources Management. Prior to joining Seyfarth Shaw, Mr. Finkel was law clerk to the United States District Judge Nancy G. Edmunds for the Eastern District of Michigan.
- J.D., University of Michigan Law School (1994)
- Associate Editor, University of Michigan Journal of Law Reform (1992-1993)
- B.A., University of Michigan, with distinction (1991)
- Editor-in-Chief, The Michigan Daily (1990)
Affiliations and Recognitions:
- College of Labor and Employment Lawyers (Fellow)
- Recognized as Band Four Practitioner, Chambers USA (2017-2018)
- BTI Client Service All-Star Attorney, BTI Consulting Group (2017) (one of 319 attorneys nationwide identified by corporate counsel as a leader in superior client service)
Rate : $$$$