Norman F. Carlin helps industry, developer and public agency clients navigate environmental impact review under the California Environmental Quality Act and the National Environmental Policy Act.
A Pillsbury partner and leader of the San Francisco office’s Environmental & Natural Resources practice, Norman focuses on CEQA and NEPA review and permitting of energy, transportation and development projects. He represents clients in permit and rulemaking proceedings, administrative appeals and litigation.
Norman also advises on proposed legislation and on compliance with federal, state and local environmental laws and regulations protecting water quality, wetlands and coastal and marine habitat, and on environmental issues in transactions.
REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE :
- Representing San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District (BART) on CEQA and NEPA review and other environmental issues for extensions to San Francisco and Oakland airports, Warm Springs and Livermore.
- Representing the Western States Petroleum Association in helping to develop zoning ordinance amendments and an environmental impact report for streamlined oil and gas permitting in Kern County, Calif.
- Advising oil industry clients on environmental review and permitting of decommissioning projects for offshore production platforms, including development of a “Rigs to Reefs” program in California.
- Member of the Board of Directors, California Council on Environmental and Economic Balance (CCEEB)
- American Bar Association (Section of Environment, Energy and Resources)
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 1994
- Ph.D., Biology, Harvard University, 1986
- B.A., Bowdoin College, 1979
ADMISSIONS : California, New York
Rate : $$$$