Owen Eliot MacBride is an energy and telecommunications lawyer who focuses his practice on regulatory matters, including regulatory agency proceedings and appeals, and transactional matters. Owen’s varied and extensive representation of electric, gas, telecommunications, water and pipeline industry participants in regulatory, transactional, legislative and litigation matters gives him a broad spectrum of knowledge and experience in planning, operating, pricing, financial, accounting, tax construction, and reliability issues in these industries.
Owen draws on his thorough understanding of the energy and telecommunications industries to represent and counsel electric and gas public utilities, electric generators, wind and solar energy generators, electric transmission companies, and wholesale and retail electric suppliers.
His diverse group of clients has also included common carrier pipelines, large energy users, water utilities, and other energy and telecommunications industry participants. Currently, his practice is focused in the areas of Electric Transmission, Electric Generation, Renewable Energy, Pipelines, and Telecommunications.
Owen has extensive experience representing both incumbent and competitive telecommunications carriers in regulatory and transactional matters. His experience with transactional matters includes negotiating electricity and gas supply and purchase contracts, advising on and obtaining regulatory approvals for business combinations and asset transactions, and advising on and obtaining regulatory approvals for financings.
Owen’s representation of energy and telecommunications industry clients has included:
- Counseling Illinois electric and gas utilities and telecommunications carriers on regulatory requirements for numerous mergers, acquisitions, other business combinations, and major asset sales or transfers including sales of generating stations. Owen represented Illinois electric and gas utilities and telecommunications carriers in successfully obtaining Illinois Commerce Commission (ICC) approval for mergers, acquisitions, and other business combinations and reorganizations in five major transactions, as well as in obtaining ICC approval for other asset sales and transfers including two major generating plant sales.
- Representing major pipeline companies in obtaining certificates from the ICC for authority to operate as common carrier pipelines in Illinois transporting crude oil, natural gas liquids and other products.
- Representing electric industry clients in the negotiating, drafting and passage of Illinois’ electric utility industry restructuring law, enacted in 1997, and the Illinois Power Agency Act and related Public Utilities Act amendments, enacted in 2007.
- Yale Law School, J.D., 1975
- University of Michigan Law School, 1972-1973
- University of Michigan, B.A., Economics, 1971
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Energy Bar Association
Rate : $$$$