Ozzie A. Farres’s practice focuses on litigation and PTAB matters. Ozzie has experience in patent and IP litigation and PTAB proceedings, including: presenting oral argument to district court, ITC, Federal Circuit and PTAB judges, motion, hearing and trial practice, direct and cross examination of witnesses, coordinating expert reports and testimony; and conducting depositions and fact discovery.
Ozzie has also prosecuted patent applications in various technical areas, including computer hardware and software, A/V processing, telecommunications, wireless devices, data mining, financial services and products, business methods, consumer products, and medical devices.
Since 2002, Ozzie has served as a judge in the Fairfax County Public Schools Science Fair and, on a pro bono basis, has obtained patent protection for the innovations and creative projects of numerous students.
Ozzie is admitted to practice before the United States Circuit Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit and Eleventh Circuit. He is also registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Trial counsel for patent owner in a patent infringement case involving encryption technology (ongoing).
- Trial counsel for accused infringer in an ITC proceeding involving LED technology (ongoing).
- Represented accused infringer before the district court and PTAB in a design patent infringement matter.
- Represented university patent owner before the district court and the Federal Circuit in a patent infringement case involving video scaling technology and high-definition displays.
- Represented accused infringer before the district court, PTAB and Federal Circuit in a patent infringement matter involving claims-processing rules engine technology.
- Represented accused infringer before the district court and PTAB in a patent infringement matter involving encryption and mobile device technology.
- Represented patent owner before the USPTO and the Federal Circuit in the reexamination of 8 patents and over 2000 claims involving wireless email technology.
- Represented patent owner in various Administrative Procedures Act cases against the USPTO.
- Represented defendants in a state court breach of contract case involving wireless e-mail technology.
- Represented accused infringer before the district court in a patent infringement case involving plastic coffee cup lids.
- Represented defendant before the district court in several patent false marking cases.
- Defended business intelligence software company from third party subpoenas served in connection with numerous patent infringement matters.
- Represented defendant before the district court in a dispute over ownership of patent applications.
- Represented plaintiff before the district court in a trade secrets misappropriation and unfair competition case.
- Represented trademark owner before the district court in a trademark infringement and unfair competition case.
- Trial counsel for plaintiff insurance company in a state court fraud case brought against a local clinic.
- Presented dozens of oral arguments before the USPTO Board of Appeals & Interferences.
- IP due diligence counsel for Fortune 75 company in connection with sale of manufacturing plants and related IP assets throughout the world.
- IP due diligence counsel for Internet unit of a Fortune 500 conglomerate in connection with the acquisition or sale of various business units.
- Rendered numerous opinions concerning the infringement, validity, and enforceability of patents.
- Prosecuted comprehensive patent portfolios in numerous technical areas.
- JD, University of Miami School of Law, cum laude, 1998
- BSEE, Florida International University, 1998
- BS, Economics, Florida State University, 1994
- District of Columbia
- US Patent and Trademark Office
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM)
Rate : $$$