P. Anthony Sammi is head of the Intellectual Property Litigation Group. He litigates complex, high-profile IP cases at the trial and appellate levels. Mr. Sammi, as lead trial counsel, recently obtained a $500 million jury verdict for leading video game studio clients ZeniMax Media and id Software against Facebook subsidiary Oculus VR and its executives.
The case was tried to a jury over three weeks in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas and involved virtual reality technology. The trial included the first-ever cross-examination of Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg in open court and received widespread media coverage.
The verdict is the sixth-largest ever awarded for copyright, trademark and/or trade secret claims and the 12th-largest intellectual property verdict including patent claims. Mr. Sammi also obtained a multimillion-dollar jury verdict, damages award and permanent injunction for trade secret misappropriation and copyright infringement on behalf of a technology company in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas.
In another action in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York, Mr. Sammi successfully defended a software development firm against a preliminary injunction for copyright infringement sought by a global technology firm.
He also is a member of the Skadden group recognized by Law360 among its 2015 “Technology Practice Groups of the Year” for courtroom victories in the technology sector. Selected litigation engagements include:
- trial counsel in a U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas, breach of contract litigation stemming from a patent litigation settlement resulting in entry of a judgment of $69 million in favor of plaintiff, a leading financial institution;
- lead trial counsel before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Patent Trials and Appeals Board on a Covered Business Method patent petition regarding auto-financing technology for the patent owner, a leading auto-finance company;
- appellate counsel in a Fifth Circuit Appeal from a successful jury verdict (below); obtained affirmance of all verdicts regarding IP claims;
- trial counsel in a U.S. District Court, District of Arizona, patent infringement trial representing the defendant, a leading sports equipment manufacturer, in which judgments of non-infringement and patent claim invalidity due to obviousness were obtained;
- leading the patent aspects of a multibillion-dollar acquisition of a social networking and VoIP service provider company; and
- J.D., Cornell Law School, 1998
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, University of Maryland, 1995
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, New York Intellectual Property Law Association
- Past President and Director, South Asian Bar Association of New York
- Past Director, National South Asian Bar Association
Rate : $$$