Palak Shah focuses her practice on representing software and telecommunications companies in patent cases and other intellectual property litigation. She drafts motions, conducts legal research and coordinates discovery in actions related to patent infringement, copyright infringement and trade secret misappropriation.
As a certified privacy professional in the U.S. with a background in computer engineering, Palak also counsels clients on privacy and data security matters.
Palak developed her ability to understand complex software concepts from her bachelor’s degree in computer engineering and her ability to explain those complicated concepts plainly from her leadership positions and advocacy work during law school. In college, Palak wrote software code and worked on large engineering projects.
Her senior design group created a cloud-based file storage system, and Palak built and maintained the back-end server for the system. She has also designed and produced a printed circuit board (PCB) as a college project.
While working at a patent prosecution boutique, Palak drafted several patent applications involving software for telecommunications and computer operating systems.
She has also worked on patent applications for start-ups developing natural language processing software.
Palak has represented leading technology companies in litigation focused on a variety of products, including:
- two-factor authentication—Palak represented a company involved in two factor authentication for mobile devices in a patent infringement action in the District of New Jersey;
- electronic health record software—Palak represented a large multinational company involved in providing health technology solutions in several actions regarding patent infringement in the Eastern District of Texas;
- radioactive tracer services—Palak represented a multinational company in an action for misappropriation of trade secrets in the Western District of Oklahoma; and
- video game technologies—Palak is representing two large multinational video game companies in patent infringement actions in the Eastern District of Texas and the Central District of California.
- J.D., cum laude, University of Houston Law Center, 2015
- Intellectual Property Student Organization (IPSO), President
- IPSO Service Award
- Summer Intern to The Hon. Nancy Johnson, Southern District of Texas
- B.S., with high honors, University of Texas at Austin (Computer Engineering)
- Society of Women Engineers, Region C Collegiate Senator
- Women in Electrical and Computer Engineering, President/Co-Founder
- Women in Engineering Program Excellence Award
- Women in Engineering Program Champion Award
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Houston Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Society for Women Engineers
- Corporate Advisory Board Member (2015-Present)
- Leadership Coaching Committee Member (2012-2015)
- Region C Collegiate Senator (2011-2012)
- Houston Intellectual Property Law Association
- Scholarship/Fellowship Committee Chair (2018-Present)
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States
Rate : $$$