Pankaj Sinha is the practice leader of the firm’s Mergers and Acquisitions Group in the Washington, D.C. office. He concentrates in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, and general corporate and securities matters.
Mr. Sinha has represented purchasers, sellers and their financial advisors in a wide variety of transactions, including public and private acquisitions and divestitures, negotiated and contested public acquisitions, auctions, going-private transactions, proxy fights, initial public offerings and other financings, and joint ventures and other strategic alliances.
He has advised clients in numerous mergers, acquisitions, financings and other corporate transactions, including several cross-border transactions. Furthermore, he has extensive experience in M&A transactions involving energy, infrastructure and water assets. Mr. Sinha’s recent representations include:
- Duke Energy on two transactions totaling $2.4 billion: the $1.2 billion sale of its power holdings in Brazil to China Three Gorges Corporation and the $1.2 billion sale of its power holdings in Peru, Chile, Ecuador, Guatemala, El Salvador and Argentina to I Squared Capital Advisors;
- The AES Corporation and Alberta Investment Management Corporation (AIMCo) in their acquisition of sPower (1,200 MW of utility scale solar) from Fir Tree Partners and its minority owners, for approximately $1.6 billion (enterprise value);
- SJW Group, a California-based water utility company, in its merger of equals with Connecticut Water Service, Inc. ($2.6 billion combined company enterprise value) to create the third-largest investor-owned water and wastewater utility in the United States;
- Kenon Holdings Ltd. in its $1.2 billion sale of IC Power Ltd.’s Latin American and Caribbean businesses to I Squared Capital Advisors, LLC;
- Enel Green Power S.p.A. in its $250 million acquisition via a tender offer of EnerNOC, Inc.;
- Entergy Corporation in connection with its sale of the James A. FitzPatrick Nuclear Power Plant in upstate New York to Exelon Generation, a subsidiary of Exelon Corporation;
- Helmerich & Payne, Inc. in its acquisition of MOTIVE Drilling Technologies, Inc.; and acquisition of Magnetic Variation Services, LLC; Defense Group, Inc. in its acquisition by SOS International LLC;
- Allegheny Energy, Inc. in its $4.7 billion acquisition by FirstEnergy Corp. in a stock-for-stock merger;
- DUET Group in its $360 million sale of a 29 percent stake in Duquesne Light Holdings, Inc. to a Singapore sovereign wealth fund;
- Macquarie Securities and affiliated entities in their purchase of U.S.-based water utility Aquarion Company from Kelda plc for an enterprise value of $860 million;
- Mylan Laboratories Inc. in its acquisition of a majority interest in Matrix Laboratories Limited, a publicly traded Indian company;
Mr. Sinha’s pro bono representations include a group of teachers establishing a Washington, D.C. charter school, and The Wellness Community (TWC), a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing support and education to those affected by cancer. In 2009, Mr. Sinha advised TWC in its unique combination with Gilda’s Club, which was founded by Gilda Radner.
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 1990
- M.B.A., Georgetown University, 1990
- A.B., Columbia College, Columbia University, 1986
Admissions : District of Columbia
Rate : $$$$