Pat Derdenger has obtained private tax rulings for clients on state and local tax issues and helped draft state tax legislation for clients and industry groups. Pat also advises businesses on the tax implications of various economic incentives and benefits of relocating to and operating in Arizona. In addition, he frequently represents construction industry and homebuilder clients on tax issues related to maintenance, repair, replacement, alteration (MRRA) and modification projects in Arizona.
Pat Derdenger advises businesses across industry sectors on federal, state, and local tax law. With more than four decades of experience in tax law, Pat has been recognized as a certified tax law specialist by the Arizona State Bar, and in 2017 received the Arizona State Bar’s “Top Tax Attorney” award.
In his extensive state and local tax practice, Pat advises businesses on corporate and individual income, multistate sales and use, and property tax matters, and counsels them on the state and local tax implications of their business transactions. He also represents clients in related litigation matters, from audits and appeals through various administrative states, as well as in federal and state courts and courts of appeals, and the US Tax Court.
Pat also counsels clients on federal income and employment tax matters, independent contractor/employee tax issues, responsible officer penalties, information return filing penalties, and federal and state excise taxes, and represents them in related litigation matters. Clients also turn to him for advice on constitutional issues, including the federal commerce clause, due process clause, and equal protection clause.
Pat is a frequent lecturer on state and local tax subjects to various professional audiences and continuing education programs, and he leads Steptoe’s annual construction industry tax conference.
- Institute for Professionals in Taxation
- Board of Directors and Tax Practitioners’ Committee member, Arizona Tax Research Association
- Board of Directors, National Association of Property Tax Attorneys
- ABA Tax Division, State and Local Tax Committee, American Bar Association Section of Taxation
- Tax Committee, Arizona Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Tax Section, Arizona Bar Association (prior chair)
- LL.M., The George Washington University Law School, 1977, Taxation
- J.D., University of Southern California Law School, 1974
- M.B.A., University of Southern California, 1971
- B.A., Loyola University, Los Angeles, 1968
Rate : $$$