Patricia Markus represents healthcare providers and related organizations across the country on an array of healthcare regulatory compliance, reimbursement, licensure, and operational matters, with a special focus on issues surrounding health information privacy, security, and technology.
Ms. Markus regularly advises clients on HIPAA and other federal and state law privacy and security compliance, health information exchange initiatives, telehealth strategies, technology agreements, preparing for and responding to data breaches, and clinical research and other innovative uses of data.
She also counsels clients on fraud and abuse issues, hospital-physician affiliations, value-based payment initiatives, and reimbursement appeals, and she serves as regulatory counsel to several behavioral health and substance abuse treatment providers.
She is a frequent contributor to Healthcare Essentials, Nelson Mullins’ Healthcare Practice Group blog, and she speaks nationally on healthcare topics. Patricia is a Chicago-area native and lifelong Cubs fan whose first aspiration was to become a Chicago Cub.
When the inherent improbability of that dream became apparent, she determined she would become the Cubs’ team physician. After struggling with college biochemistry and realizing that she had inherited her journalist parents’ writing skills, she decided to attend law school instead. She relocated to Raleigh in 1995, in part to escape Chicago winters.
- Boston College Law School, JD
- Haverford College, BA, English, with honors
- North Carolina
- Law Clerk, The Honorable Robert W. Cook, Illinois Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- Law Clerk, The Honorable Willis P. Whichard, North Carolina Supreme Court
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Board of Directors (July 2015 – present)
- Chair, HIT Practice Group (July 2012 – June 2015); Vice Chair (July 2008 – June 2012)
- Member, Health Information Management Systems Society
- North Carolina Healthcare Information and Communications Alliance, Legal Work Group (2006 – present)
- Co-Chair, Legal Work Group and Implementation Plan Work Group, North Carolina Health Information Security and Privacy Collaboration (HISPC) Project (2006-2009)
Rate : $$$