Patricia Hollenbeck practices in the area of commercial litigation and represents clients in a broad range of matters before state and federal courts, as well as arbitration forums. Ms. Hollenbeck’s practice focuses primarily on complex business litigation in a number of industries, including consumer product manufacturing, franchise and distribution, and education.
Her practice involves a wide range of claims, including unfair competition and consumer legal remedies (UCL/CLRA), class action defense, software licensing, trade secrets and products liability. Ms. Hollenbeck also has extensive experience with litigating injunctive relief claims.
She has handled well over one hundred arbitrations, arbitrating to award in excess of fifty cases before a number of arbitral forums, including the American Arbitration Association. In addition to her role as trial counsel, Ms. Hollenbeck assists her clients with litigation assessment at the time of business formation, and in connection with asset purchase transactions.
She is a tenacious advocate and a strategic decision maker who works collaboratively with her clients to achieve the best business result. Ms. Hollenbeck is admitted to practice in California and Colorado. She represents her clients in California and across the United States.
Ms. Hollenbeck is also very active in the San Diego legal community. She is a Master in the American Inns of Court, Louis M. Welsh Inn and an instructor for the National Institute of Trial Advocacy Deposition Skills Program, currently serves on the San Diego County Bar Association Board of Directors, and is a Director of the San Diego Inn of Court (trial training program).
She also recently completed two years on the Board of Directors of the Downtown San Diego Partnership and two terms on the Board of Directors of the Tom Homann LGBT Law Association Foundation (which awards scholarship funds to deserving students).
In 2014-2015 Ms. Hollenbeck served as President of Lawyers Club of San Diego, the mission of which is to advance the status of women in law and in society. She was a member of the board of directors for four years, and served as the Vice-President of Finance and Fundraising, as well as chair of the Judicial Endorsements Committee before being elected president.
She remains involved in Lawyers Club on the Advisory Board and as a member of the organization’s 501(c)(3) arm, the Fund for Justice, which supports underserved women and children in San Diego. Ms. Hollenbeck previously served a three-year term on the Board of Governors for the Association of Business Trial Lawyers, San Diego.
Ms. Hollenbeck is currently serving a three-year term on the California Lawyers Association Business Litigation Committee (fka the State Bar of California Business Litigation Committee). She was previously appointed to the State Bar of California Franchise Law Committee for two separate three-year terms.
A member of the State Bar of California and of the American, Colorado and San Diego County bar associations, Ms. Hollenbeck is a 1984 graduate of the University of Colorado School of Law and a graduate of Stanford University, where she double-majored, was elected to Cap and Gown, and played on the women’s varsity golf team.
- Business Litigation
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a college education client in a contested arbitration where the claimant sought compensatory and punitive damages, injunctive relief, and attorneys’ fees based on a myriad of claims including discrimination based on medical condition, disability based on age discrimination, failure to accommodate, intentional misrepresentation, unfair business practices and false advertising.
- Won an appeal on behalf of American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine, a subsidiary of DeVry Education Group, before the Second District, Division Six, Court of Appeal of the State of California, which held the client was not liable for plaintiff’s termination from medical school.
- Served as special outside counsel to the Board of Trustees of the Colorado Public Employees Retirement Association and authored the legal opinion affirmed by the Colorado Supreme Court denying an attempt to get the records of the Association’s top benefit recipients.
- Obtained a decision in the Central District of California defeating a highly contentious bid for preliminary injunction over the alleged violation of California wiretap laws.
- Obtained on behalf of a theme park a dismissal with prejudice of a suit alleging violations of the Song-Beverly Credit Card Act, which prohibits the collection of personal information from credit card customers.
- Products Liability Litigation
- Represented an international appliance manufacturer in numerous products liability actions for over 20 years. Those matters have included catastrophic personal injury, brain trauma, burn injuries, and amputations. Ms. Hollenbeck has evaluated and defended each claim and has achieved outstanding results.
- Represented Metabolife International in state and federal court litigation involving legal fallout over ephedra, and claims that Metabolife 356 was linked to dozens of heart attacks, strokes, and more than 100 deaths. Causes of action included product liability, negligence, breach of implied warranty, breach of express warranty and fraud, and sought compensatory and punitive damages.
- Represented an international motor carrier in a range of claims resulting from traffic injuries, many of which involved ejection of the plaintiffs from their vehicles with resulting personal injuries and brain damage. All cases were successfully evaluated and resolved.
- Represented a national personal armed security company in a series of lawsuits filed by individuals who claimed they were the victims of excessive force, who had sustained traumatic brain injuries. All but one case was settled for a small sum; the remaining matter was tried and there was a defense verdict.
- Represented an international tire manufacturer in many matters involving alleged tire defects resulting in automobile accidents. The plaintiffs claimed a wide variety of injuries, including brain trauma. The cases were resolved on terms that were acceptable to the client.
- Defended international appliance manufacturer against $25 million mold exposure claim brought by consumer. Resolved case for nominal sum through strong litigation strategy including coordinating testimony from over 40 experts.
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of California
- California Lawyers Association (formerly part of the State Bar of California)
- Colorado Bar Association
- American Inns of Court
- Board of Directors, San Diego County Bar Association, 2017-
- Board of Directors, San Diego Inn of Court, 2018-
- Board of Directors, Lawyers Club of San Diego, 2011-2015
- Board of Directors, Carmel Valley Music Boosters, Vice-President Fundraising, 2006-2008
Rate : $$$$