Experienced in both state and federal courts, Patrick J. Duggan practices employment law and litigation on behalf of management in a variety of complex workplace and business disputes. His specific litigation practice areas include:
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Genetic Information and Nondiscrimination Act (GINA)
- Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA)
- Contractual and other business-related disputes
Patrick also represents employers in pre-litigation matters before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the Department of Labor (DOL), and the Florida Commission on Human Relations.
Having a passion for sharing his knowledge, Patrick is a frequent lecturer and trainer on a variety of employment-related topics, and consistently drafts, reviews, and enforces employment policies and handbooks, employee contracts, restrictive covenants, and severance agreements.
After earning his law degree from the Stetson University College of Law, Patrick served as an Assistant State Attorney in both Sarasota and Manatee Counties, prosecuting some of this area’s most notorious criminals. He also served as in-house counsel for the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office for eight years.
As a result, Patrick possesses extensive knowledge of governmental affairs, constitutional law, and criminal law. He is a registered lobbyist before the executive branch including the Florida’s Constitutional Revision Commission.
- J.D., Stetson University College of Law, 2004
- B.A., with honors, History, University of Florida, 2000
Bar and Court Admissions:
- Florida, 2004
- United States District Court Middle District of Florida
- As first chair, litigated more than 30 jury trials to verdict, achieving the winning verdict in the overwhelming majority.
- Regarding legislative initiatives, either co-wrote or significantly contributed to the drafting of the final version of five different enacted county ordinances and contributed to drafting and revising numerous bills presented to the Florida legislature, including some that became law.
- As a registered lobbyist, appeared on the record before Florida’s Constitutional Revision Commission in furtherance of client interests.
Professional and Community Affiliations:
- Board Member, The Ringling College Library Association
- 2017 Town Hall Lecture Series Chair
- Board Member, Sarasota Tiger Bay Club
- Officer, The Judge John M. Scheb American Inn of Court
- The Florida Association of Police Attorneys
Rate : $$$