Throughout his legal career, Patrick J. Hatfield has focused on financial services, intellectual property and technology, gaining valuable experience as in-house counsel, including 10 years as senior counsel and vice president to a leading provider of IT and outsourcing services to the global financial services industry now part of Computer Sciences Corporation.
Patrick has handled a wide range of IT, outsourcing, acquisition and joint venture arrangements in the global financial services industry. His experience includes handling software licensing and development and outsourcing in the United States and around the globe.
He co-authored the 6-Point Framework for assessing risk in electronic signature and e-contracting processes. He has helped many clients design and implement effective electronic signature and electronic delivery processes in compliance with ESIGN, UETA and admissibility standards under various rules of evidence.
In 2012, the life insurance industry association ACORD, commissioned Mr. Hatfield to author a best practices guide, called, “GUIDELINES FOR e-SIGNATURE AND e-DELIVERY IN THE INSURANCE BUSINESS” to help insurance companies understand the legal requirements and best practices for effective e-contracting processes in the insurance business.
More recently, he co-authored “The Application of Electronic Signatures and Records Law to the Insurance Industry: Historical and Practical Perspectives After a Decade and a Half” published by LexisNexis.
Representative Experience :
- Mr. Hatfield’s transactional focus in technology companies (drafting, negotiating, and tactical and strategic consulting) includes:
- Outsourcing relationships (BPO and ITO)
- Software license and development relationships
- Strategic investments, representing both companies and investors
- Acquisitions and divestitures, representing both sellers and buyers in software companies
- Dispute avoidance and dispute resolutions relating to IT/Outsourcing relationships
In 2016, Mr. Hatfield assisted the service provider in the largest insurance outsourcing services transaction of its kind in North America, involving nearly seven million life, annuity and pension policies. In 2017, he assisted in several strategically significant and large outsourcing transactions in the life, annuity and absence management businesses.
Mr. Hatfield’s focus in the area of IT, intellectual property and financial services also includes:
- Various privacy and data security issues including the Fair Credit Reporting Act, GLBA and HIPAA
- Assisting clients in designing and implementing effective electronic signature processes
- Advising management and directors on their duties to the company in the area of cyber risk
- Insurance regulation matters, including TPA licensing issues
- Online and voice authorized credit, debit and ACH payments governed by NACHA Rules and Reg E
Professional Affiliations :
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Georgia Bar Association
- J.D., Indiana University Maurer School of Law, 1986
- M.B.A., Indiana University Kelley School of Business, 1986
- B.A., Purdue University, 1981
- Texas, 2009
- Georgia, 2001
- Indiana, 1986
Rate : $$$