Patrick B. Sardino is an experienced litigator and skilled trial attorney who has taken more than 50 cases to verdict in both federal and state courts. He handles complex litigation, concentrating his practice in the areas of labor, construction defect, transportation & logistics, environmental law and catastrophic personal injury, including wrongful death and traumatic brain injury (TBI).
Since joining Cozen O’Connor in 2013, Patrick has built a national trial practice. He has tried cases and led litigation in more than a dozen states and won victories in some of the nation’s most challenging jurisdictions.
In addition to defending clients in high-stakes disputes, Patrick counsels corporations and government agencies on loss mitigation and assignment and transfer of risk. Through negotiation of contractual terms and indemnification clauses, Patrick often helps clients limit litigation exposure. He lectures frequently on topics related to complex litigation and litigation avoidance strategies.
Prior to entering private practice, Patrick spent nearly a decade in government, first as assistant corporation counsel with the City of Syracuse Corporation Counsel’s Office and then as assistant attorney general in the New York State Attorney General’s Office.
Patrick utilizes his governmental experience in his representation of a wide range of public entities, including industrial development corporations and municipal and state-level authorities.
Patrick earned his bachelor’s degree from Syracuse University with a major in labor and employment relations. He received his J.D. degree from Syracuse University College of Law, graduating cum laude.
- Patrick tried a multi-million-dollar matter resulting from a construction accident where liability had already been established. During the damages trial, which included several contentious evidentiary rulings, the jury awarded plaintiff less than 1/3 of the requested amount during closing arguments. The jury award was less than the offer made prior to the damages trial.
- Defended a national trucking company in a case with multiple plaintiffs alleging serious physical injuries and TBI. During discovery, Patrick developed a no-liability defense with multiple experts testifying that the alleged injuries were greatly exaggerated. The strength of both liability and damages defenses resulted in a global settlement with plaintiffs or a mere fraction of the demand.
- Defended a mid-east regional construction company in a case with multiple plaintiffs with claims of wrongful death and traumatic brain injury (TBI). Handled the liability trial in which the jury apportioned significant fault against the plaintiffs and dismissed plaintiffs’ request for punitive damages. Patrick then negotiated a favorable settlement on the eve of the damages trial after developing convincing arguments against the TBI claims.
- Defended a mid-west regional construction company in a $20 million wrongful death suit. After identifying other potential tortfeasors, developing contribution theories against such tortfeasors during discovery, and conducting jury selection and opening arguments, Patrick reached a settlement with plaintiff’s counsel for a fraction of the demand.
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1991
- Syracuse University, B.S., 1988
BAR ADMISSIONS : New York
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court — Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court — Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court — Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court — Western District of New York
- New York City Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Onondaga County Bar Association
- Syracuse University Whitman School of Management Alumni Club
Rate : $$$$