With more than a decade of legal experience, Patrick J. Somers has represented publicly traded and privately held companies as well as individuals in a wide range of litigation and regulatory matters, including securities litigation, complex commercial disputes, and regulatory issues.
He also has defended various corporate and individual clients in connection with investigations conducted by the Department of Justice (DOJ), Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), and State Attorneys General.
Mr. Somers has served as a key attorney for every aspect of complex civil litigation, including pre-trial investigations and discovery, pleadings, case development, opposing class certification, briefs, trial preparation, trial, and appeals.
Among his many clients have been global financial institutions, Fortune 100 companies, a hedge fund administrator and custodian, and a major motion picture studio.
- Columbia University School of Law, J.D., 2007
- James Kent Scholar
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- Harlan Fiske Stone Moot Court Finalist
- The Legal Aid Society Pro Bono Award
- Columbia Human Rights Law Review, Managing Editor
- Emory University, B.A., History and Philosophy, 2003
- Cum Laude
- The Barkley Forum, National Debate Team
- Represented a major motion picture studio in trial and appeal in connection with alleged securities fraud concerning a film’s financing.
- Represented a TV ratings company in a lawsuit brought by an Indian broadcasting company that alleged there was corruption in the provision of TV ratings in India.
- Represented administrators and the custodian in a securities class action brought by investors in the largest feeder fund into Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities.
- Represented a global financial institution in a common law fraud and negligent misrepresentation case regarding investments made by Norwegian municipalities.
- Represented a global financial institution in a class action lawsuit arising out of a $50 billion merger that occurred during the financial crisis.
- Represented an executive in investigation and numerous litigations concerning the Deepwater Horizon explosion.
- Represented a company in connection with an investigation concerning revenue recognition conducted by the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Represented a major pharmaceutical company in a Department of Justice (DOJ) investigation into alleged off-label marketing.
Bar and Court Admissions:
- New York, 2008
- California, 2017
- U.S. District Courts
- Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
Rate : $$$