Paul Cohen is member of Cohen Law Partners. He is practice areas Estate Planning, and Litigation. Successfully represented the administrator of an estate in recovering more than $4 million in property in litigation against a 45-year-old attorney who claimed to have married a 93-year-old Los Angeles woman in a secret ceremony in Mexico, and then transferred ownership in her property to an offshore trust in the British Virgin Islands.
Retained Mexican counsel who obtained an order that the marriage did not exist. We then persuaded the Virgin Islands Trust company to dissolve the trust.
Successfully represented a conservator in litigation with an elder abuser who stole $1 million from a 90-year-old woman and wired the money to a foreign bank. Conducted discovery which assisted federal and state authorities in a criminal action which resulted in guilty pleas and the recovery of the $1 million.
Active on the Los Angeles County Probate Volunteer Panel (PVP), attorneys found by the Probate Court of the Los Angeles Superior Court to have the requisite skill and experience necessary to represent the interests of persons against whom petitions for appointment of conservatorship have been filed. Served on more than 100 appointments as both a PVP attorney and guardian ad litem in the past 18 years.
Lectured at Pepperdine University Law School seminar on Improvisational Mediation, using his own live jazz trio to demonstrate the principles of creativity, improvisation, cooperation and discourse in mediation of legal disputes.
Frequent lecturer at Los Angeles County and Beverly Hills bar associations continuing legal education panels on the laws and duties governing PVP attorneys.
Frequent consultant to estate planning attorneys and tort lawyers on trying contested probate matters in probate and civil court.
- New York University School of Law, New York, New York, L.L.B. – 1963
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania B.A. – 1959
- California, 1970
- District of Columbia, 1964
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1970
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1970
Professional Associations & Memberships:
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Vice Chair, Client Relations Committee, 1985 – Present
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Fee Arbitrator, 1979 – Present
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Member Executive Committee of the Trust and Estates Section, 2007 – 2008 • Beverly Hill Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- California Jazz Foundation, Member, Board of Directors, 2011 – Present
Rate : $$$$