Paul Fleming, is a proficient patent staff scientist and medicinal chemist, and has assisted clients in a diverse array of preclinical therapeutic areas including, antibacterials, antivirals, GPCRs and ion channels.
Dr. Fleming has significant experience preparing and prosecuting due diligence reviews, freedom-to-operate analysis, patent applications, as well as prior art, landscape and patentability analyses. In addition, Dr. Fleming formulates IP strategy and mining competitor patents for establishing fast follower programs.
Prior to joining Dechert, Dr. Fleming served as a staff scientist in the intellectual property group of Choate, Hall & Stewart, and previous to this worked as a principal scientist at AstraZeneca R&D Boston.
Dr. Fleming began his career as a senior scientist at ArQule, Inc., a biopharmaceutical company engaged in the research and development of targeted therapeutics to treat cancers and certain rare diseases.
- University of Bremen, Germany, 1986
- University of Maryland, B.S., 1987, magna cum laude, high honors in Chemistry
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Ph.D., Organic Chemistry, 1993
- National Institutes of Health, Post-Doctoral Fellowship, 1997
- Wilmington University, M.B.A., 2013
- Established parallel synthesis capabilities at AstraZeneca to allow the rapid prosecution of screening hits and the development of SAR in discovery projects.
- Directed the Joint Research Committee for the Broad Collaboration at AstraZeneca. Led drug discovery collaboration utilizing the Broad Institute’s unique 100K member Diversity Oriented Synthesis library for antibacterial and antiviral drug discovery efforts. Developed a novel inhibitor of DNA gyrase with activity against Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
- Managed a US$2.5 million global project to design and synthesize a unique collection of compounds targeting NAD utilizing enzymes. This initiative produced more than 20,000 compounds for AstraZeneca’s corporate screening collection that target this important class of enzymes and has resulted in project starts in this emerging disease area.
Rate : $$$