Paul S. Francis practices complex business litigation and arbitration, focusing on the oil and gas, construction, financial and real estate industries. His experience includes more than 50 trials in state and federal courts around the country. Paul combines that experience and meticulous preparation to ensure his clients’ cases are appropriately presented.
- Served as lead counsel in the representation of 110 shareholders dissenting from a squeeze-out merger and seeking recovery of full “fair value” of their shares, which was found to be substantially higher than what had been offered by the company. The primary issue was fair value of corporate shares of stock. A jury trial in San Antonio, Texas, resulted in a $14 million judgment for the clients. Anderson et al. v. Broadway Bancshares Inc.
- Served as lead counsel prosecuting construction change order, schedule and acceleration claims for a contractor that built an electric power plant in Northern California. Defended against back charge claims by the project owner and arbitration administered by the American Arbitration Administration (AAA). Obtained a settlement for all amounts due to the client.
- Served as lead counsel in the defense of an oil and gas exploration company against claims of bad faith pooling, breach of mineral leases and fraud in multiple similar suits filed by mineral owner lessors. Cases were filed in Victoria, Goliad and De Witt counties in South Texas. Two cases were tried and the other was settled. Obtained a unanimous jury verdict exonerating the client in one trial and settled the other matter very favorably during trial.
- Served as lead counsel in cases involving alleged negligence and breach of contract by commercial and residential real estate developers and contractors in projects found to be built on geographic faults, without adequate site preparation, with substandard foundations and without adequate protections against water penetration.
- Has represented creditors and debtors in adversary proceedings before U.S. bankruptcy courts in the Northern and Southern districts of Texas, including evidentiary hearings, defending against alleged fraudulent transfer claims, seeking automatic stays and enforcement stays.
- American Bar Association
- Texas State Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- American Arbitration Association, Houston: Panelist (1995 to 2000)
- Houston Yacht Club: Officer
- Texas Sailing Association: Officer
- J.D., The University of Texas School of Law, 1973
- B.A., Government, Dartmouth College, 1970
- U.S. Tax Court, 1989
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1992
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas, 1976
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas, 1990
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas, 1997
Rate : $$$