Paul T. Kaplun is a corporate attorney who advises and represents clients in connection with corporate, securities, and business transactions and related planning matters. Paul’s clients include middle-market and emerging companies, investors, senior executives, and high-net-worth individuals and their families in a variety of financial transactions, including day-to-day corporate, tax, and business matters.
He is a certified public accountant (CPA) whose broad experience with, and exposure to, a range of business matters enable him to partner with clients and their professional advisors in all aspects of a transaction, helping them achieve their business objectives in a focused, integrated, and practical manner.
Paul advises and represents clients in a variety of industries, with a particular focus on contracting and specialty trades, healthcare, government contracting, and professional services. The matters for which he is responsible include : Mergers and acquisitions, Governance, Business disputes.
Paul served for nearly six years as a member of Venable’s Executive Committee and as co-chair of our Business Division, where he oversaw eight practice groups and approximately 160 attorneys and other professionals.
- Represented the management team of a mechanical contracting company in the acquisition of the company’s equity from its private equity majority owner
- Represented the owner of a prominent locally based publishing company in the sale of the company to two large private equity firms
- Served as corporate and tax counsel to a company in the restructuring of its equity in connection with the acquisition of the stock owned by its founder and its senior management, including a leveraged buyout that resulted in 100% stock ownership by an employee stock ownership plan
- Served as outside counsel to a medical device company in connection with the structuring and implementation of three rounds of equity financing, corporate governance matters, and equity-based compensation plans, and oversaw government contract and regulatory matters.
- J.D. Georgetown University Law Center 1984
- B.S. / B.A. magna cum laude Georgetown University 1978
Bar Admissions : District of Columbia, Maryland
Professional Memberships :
- Member, American Bar Association, Tax Section and Business Law Section; former subcommittee chair
- Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Former adjunct professor, business planning, Georgetown University Law Center.
- Member, board of directors, Shepherd’s Table, Inc.
- Former member, board of directors of Holy Cross Health; former vice chair, treasurer, and committee chair
- Former chairman and board member, Holy Cross Health Foundation
- Former member, alumni association board, Chaminade High School in New York; former president, Washington-Baltimore alumni chapter
- Member, alumni admissions program, Georgetown University
- Former member, board of governors, Georgetown University.
Rate : $$$