Paul J. Neufeld is a Partner in Locke Lord’s Houston and London offices, where his practice focuses on international arbitration and litigation in a wide range of industries, including energy, defense, and construction.
In addition to helping clients resolve commercial and investor-state disputes, Paul also advises on structuring cross-border transactions and investments. He is admitted in Texas, New York, England & Wales (Solicitor) and has full rights of audience in the DIFC Courts, Dubai, UAE, where he was based for many years.
Paul previously taught at the University of Rhode Island and Providence College and is currently co-author of Saudi Arabia for the Dispute Resolution Review.
As an undergraduate, Paul attended the Herder-Institut at the Universität Leipzig in Germany with the support of the DAAD (Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst) and received the Swiss Ambassador to Canada award for German language studies.
While in law school, Paul was Editor in Chief of The Review of Litigation, Volume 26. He received the SSHRC (Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada) Fellowship for his doctoral dissertation at Brown University.
Representative Experience :
- Represented North American energy company against a South American government in arbitration proceedings brought under a bilateral investment treaty
- Represented international oilfield services company in UNCITRAL arbitration brought by state-owned entity relating to drilling services in the Carribean
- Represented a North American energy company in a contractual dispute against a Latin American state-owned entity in UNCITRAL arbitration and parallel 28 USC 1782 actions
- Represented a multinational energy company in UNCITRAL arbitration against a Latin American governmental energy agency concerning long-term electric power purchase agreements
- Represented a contractor in a Dubai-seated arbitration under UAE law involving a contractual dispute over security services provided in Afghanistan
- Represented an international organization in an UNCITRAL arbitration seated in London regarding the supply of goods and services by a Saudi Arabian company
- Represented an engineering contractor in a dispute over a construction project in the Middle East governed by English law and courts
- Represented the contractor in a DIAC arbitration concerning a residential construction project dispute in the United Arab Emirates
- Represented the respondent in a Dubai-based residential construction project dispute in DIAC proceedings under UAE law
- Numerous investor-state disputes and arbitrations in relation to energy and infrastructure projects brought under bilateral and multilateral investment treaties and conducted under ICSID , UNCITRAL and ICSID Additional Facility rules
- Represented Saudi oil supply company in relation to arbitration and litigation proceedings under Saudi and Texas law
- Represented a hotel owner in a Cairo-seated UNCITRAL arbitration against an international hotel management company regarding a hotel management agreement in Egypt
- Advising sports broadcasting company in the Middle East in multi-jurisdictional broadcasting rights and payment dispute
- Represented a private party in a Dubai-seated ICC arbitration under English law concerning various asset allocation agreements
Professional Affiliations :
- Member, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Member, Canadian Business Council of Dubai & the Northern Emirates
- Member, International Centre for Dispute Resolution
- Member, American Bar Association, International Law Section
- Member, World Affairs Council of Houston
- Ph.D., Brown University, 2008
- J.D., Honors, The University of Texas School of Law, 2007
- M.A., Michigan State University, 1997
- B.A., First Class Honors, University of Alberta, 1995
Admissions : Texas; New York
Rate : $$$