Paul Josephson is a constitutional and regulatory litigator focused on achieving clients’ business and policy objectives. He advises CEOs, elected officials, and agency heads on a broad spectrum of matters involving significant public interests or highly regulated by government agencies.
He presently represents the Gateway Program Development Corporation on the $13 billion Hudson Rail Tunnel project, and serves as Policy Counsel for the New Jersey Cannabis Industry Association. Mr. Josephson’s areas of practice include the following:
- government contracting and administration;
- business permitting and licensing;
- infrastructure and real estate development/redevelopment;
- environmental and land use regulation, including condemnation and regulatory takings;
- health, energy, banking, insurance and professional regulation;
- corporate compliance and government ethics and transparency;
Mr. Josephson’s practice includes legislative and regulatory drafting and extensive appellate court practice and advocacy. He also advises clients in transactional and litigation matters and manages public affairs, media relations and crisis communications.
Mr. Josephson has represented or advised three Presidents, six New Jersey governors, two United States senators, and numerous congressmen, state legislators, mayors and county executives on matters of law and policy. Most recently, he served as counsel to Governor Phil Murphy’s campaign and as senior counsel to his Transition.
Mr. Josephson has served as Chief Counsel to the Governor, and as Director, Division of Law, for the New Jersey Office of Attorney General, where he oversaw the State’s appellate and trial dockets.
As Chief of Authorities for the New Jersey Governor, he oversaw more than 50 bi-state and state authorities, including the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, New Jersey Transit and the New Jersey Turnpike Authority.
During his State service, Mr. Josephson merged the Turnpike and Garden State Parkway, fixed New Jersey’s broken electronic tolls and vehicle inspection systems, and implemented electronic voting and registration technologies.
Since his state service, Mr. Josephson has been designated to serve as Special Counsel to the State in complex litigation and other matters. In that role he has represented the New Jersey Casino Control Commission and NJ Transit in major cases. He was also selected by the New Jersey Casino Reinvestment Development Authority to co-author the Atlantic City Master Plan blueprint for revitalizing that city in 2012.
- Represent leading companies providing public safety and IT services to state and local governments on contract awards and bid protests.
- Appealed and defended appeals of dozens of election and campaign finance controversies, including N.J. Democratic Party v. Samson, 175 N.J. 172 (2002) (right of party to replace Senate candidate after statutory deadline); and Lesniak v. Budzash,133 N.J. 1 (1993) (right of party members to nominate candidates for office).
- Defend charter schools against appeals of charter approvals, renewals and amendments.
- Advised applicants for medical cannabis licensure and advocacy groups supporting reform of cannabis laws.
- New Jersey Electronic Tolling Project: Assumed responsibility for failed electronic tolling project; replaced key vendors and oversaw successful transition and repair of system.
- Sandy Hook Privatization Effort: Stopped proposed private redevelopment of U.S. Park Service facilities at Sandy Hook/Gateway National Recreation Area through litigation and media efforts.
- Mercer County (NJ) Community College Solar Project: Defended 45 acre, 8mw project to power college against land use challenges; secured ruling that project was immune from local land use regulation due to county sponsorship.
- General and Special Counsel, NJ Democratic State Committee: Represent state party in wide variety of legal matters.
- Counsel/General Counsel to numerous statewide campaigns in NJ, including Gov. Corzine, Sen. Lautenberg, Sen. Torricelli, Gov. McGreevey, as well as numerous House, state legislative and local races throughout NJ.
- The George Washington University Law School, J.D., with honors, 1990
- University of Michigan, B.A., 1987
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- New Jersey Co-Chair, Regional Plan Association (NY-NJ-CT)
- Member, Alliance of Public Charter School Attorneys
- Advisor, New Jersey Cannabis Industry Associations
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Co-Chair and Executive Committee Member of the Regional Plan Association
- Trustee, New Jersey Charter School Association Board
Rate : $$$$