Paul A. Scrudato is that rare litigator who can see beyond the case in front of him to the overarching business challenge that underlies it. When defending the many intertwined components of a mass torts case, Paul focuses just as much on the business realities as he does on the legal. Always taking the long view, he helps his clients see — and navigate — the legal and business elements of the litigation that threatens the company.
In any mass torts situation, Paul’s aim is to end it as quickly and efficiently as possible — his goal is to “put the litigation out of business” by closing it down. An experienced trial lawyer, he knows that trials are only rarely the right approach from a business standpoint. Paul understands that the likelihood of avoiding trial is increased by having an imposing team of trial lawyers with a history of trial success ready to deploy wherever and whenever necessary.
This approach has served Paul well as national counsel for many Fortune 500 companies with high-profile litigation and trial exposure, controlling their trial risk through the deft negotiation of complex settlement agreements. He has long been in the forefront of asbestos litigation defense and remains one of the defense leaders in the New York City Asbestos Litigation.
When The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey was sued in 10,000 cases involving first responders, Paul was the lead negotiator for the client and successfully shut down the litigation. When the world’s leading mobile phone manufacturer was sued in its first case involving allegations that the company’s cell phones caused brain cancer, Paul assumed a lead role in the company’s defense.
- Led effort on behalf of hundreds of companies in getting deferred docket order entered in the New York City Asbestos Litigation, resulting in elimination of 25,000 cases from the court’s docket.
- One of the creators of the New York City coordinated asbestos defense group, which has the lead role in all negotiations with the court and the plaintiffs in all litigation management and trial group determinations.
- Led successful efforts in appellate challenge to order that changed New York verdict molding rules to trial Defendants’ benefit.
- Lead negotiator for The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in creating novel settlement of 10,000 lawsuits by first responders arising out of the Sept 11 terrorist attacks.
- Trial lawyer and lead negotiator for numerous Fortune 500 companies across the country facing risk from various products liability cases and mass torts.
- Representing mobile phone company in Frye Hearing and related issues arising from claims that technology causes adverse health effects.
- Science and trial counsel to international medical products company in mass tort litigation in multiple jurisdictions across the country.
- George Washington University Law School, J.D., 1985
- Denison University, B.A., 1982
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
Rate : $$$